Random pictures thread

-
First and probably last ride on a crane. What a way to get in the top of 120ft tree. Fun!

View attachment 1716120847
I was disassembling one of our portable concrete plants for shipment to another job site with the help of our crane. A conventional crane, not a hydro crane like above. Conventionals have a fixed length boom and all the hoisting is done with clutches and brakes and not hydraulically as above. I was on top of the plant 20' or so and heading for the ground. Red, the crane operator "Jump on the headache ball! I'll give ya a ride!". I was just an apprentice, I should have known better :lol: On the headache ball I go. Red swings me away from the plant and lets the winch free-fall and catches me about a foot from the ground :rofl: I said nothing and went about my business. I think Red was disappointed in my reaction :lol:

A stop like that with a headache ball between your legs can give you worse than a headache!! Lucky you saves the jewels.

362FE1B5-97AC-4594-A585-C13F25968850.jpeg

A stop like that with a headache ball between your legs can give you worse than a headache!! Lucky you saves the jewels.
I was Red's oiler/assistant many times after that. I learned much, but mostly just the dynamics of lifting heavy s#$t with a mechanized stick on wheels :lol: . We were always too busy for him to actually instruct me on operating the rig. I learned enough to make me a fair hand at hydro cranes though. "Step back from the rig Alex" always meant Red was about to do something a little on the dicey side :lol:

-
Back