Random pictures thread

-
1708867310649.png

1708867364830.png

1708867343355.png

I've seen this one in-person, and it's pretty cool! And HUGE!

For our anniversary a few years back my wife and I flew out to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, and this one was there. Pretty sure I have some pics of it at home.

What I found really interesting (and somewhat related to that boat with the rocks physics thread posted elsewhere here) is that despite the size of this, and other large "specialty" balloons, their capacity is based on the area (square footage) of where the basket attaches to the balloon, not the actual size of the balloon itself, and thus this balloon can't carry more than 3 or 4 people. (Only reason I know this is that my wife worked for Wells Fargo for 31 years, and she got to know the WF "air balloon crew" pretty well. When we asked if they would take us up, this was their explanation as to why they couldn't do so.)

(Edit: Holy ****! We were out there in 2015, not "a few years back"! 9 years ago. Where did the time go?)

Jim

Last edited:
I've seen this one in-person, and it's pretty cool.

For our anniversary a few years back my wife and I flew out to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, and this one was there. Pretty sure I have some pics of it at home.

What I found really interesting (and somewhat related to that boat with the rocks physics thread posted elsewhere here) is that despite the size of this, and other large "specialty" balloons, their capacity is based on the area (square footage) of where the basket attaches to the balloon, not the actual size of the balloon itself, and thus this balloon can't carry more than 3 or 4 people.

Jim
The wife and I went to the balloon festival a couple of years back- it was fun & interesting, but man was that place packed. We found a nice place down the highway to Taos, where many of the balloons would float down through the canyons; really pretty and no mobs of people. Very fun, relaxing time.
Drives my wife crazy- in our spare time I'd be cruising the back roads looking for vintage iron. ("You've already got too many projects!!" "But Honey, there's no rust here!")

Last edited:
The wife and I went to the balloon festival a couple of years back- it was fun & interesting, but man was that place packed. We found a nice place down the highway to Taos, where many of the balloons would float down through the canyons; really pretty and no mobs of people. Very fun, relaxing time.
Drives my wife crazy- in our spare time I'd be cruising the back roads looking for vintage iron. ("You've already got too many projects!!" "But Honey, there's no rust here!")
Fun and relaxing is right!

We took a day trip down to Alamogordo (I think?), where there's a nuclear test site museum, and then went to the VLA (Very Large Array) in the afternoon. Both were really fascinating, but the best part was that as we were leaving the VLA the sun was falling (got some really cool pictures!), and since we were basically out in the middle of nowhere, once the sun had fallen the sky lit-up with stars! My wife grew-up in northern MN, but somehow she had never seen the Milky Way, so when the stars came out in all of their glory in the N.M. desert...

We stopped on the side of the road, and in complete darkness she got out and looked-up in awe for about 10 minutes.

Truly a memorable experience.

Last edited:
Me, sometime back in the later 1970's. when i had the 71 Hemi GTX, 4 speed car.
At the Folsom Dam, Folsom, Commiefornia.

Jim V. #2.JPG

-
Back