rat or not to rat

-
I LOVE THAT TRUCK!

That would look sooooo sweet lowered with some 18" steelies on it.

Good grab......excellent project.

Mop

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Was out of town and didn't have internet access. So I murdered out 63 Dart 2 dr. The stainless headlight rings were toast so I straightened them and painted them. I did not use primer because it attracts moisture. I used semi gloss enamel with a top coat of Rustoleum textured paint. Does this make it a rat rod? No. Does this make it worse than your POS shiny trailer queen? No. Does it make it more popular than your shiny machine? Most of the time, yes. I am currently building a gasser replica out of a 49 Dodge pilot house. Why? because I want to do it. It will not be shiny. It will look like it just came out from behind the barn. Do I care that you won't like it? No. I'm building it because I want it. That is what everyone should do. And if you don't like the way someone did THEIR car or truck or whatever, shut your mouth and walk away. It's none of your business. Do that and I won't make fun of your POS. Fair enough?

Pictures! I want to murder out my dart but I think it might look stupid.

well said.......... especially the part about God ....................................! now when it comes to 4 doors there is nothing like my newest addition......it was just pulled it off the trailer tonight around midnight! Not sure what to do with it but I drove it home! It is sweet! I will post more pics Sunday, Monday
ByFD9ImkKGrHqIOKiIEwPnZw5JsBMQOGmpn9_12.jpg
I still love this truck, lol. Its just sooo cool!:toothy10:8). Post more pics when you get it home please!

Hey Cory. There is a link to my build in my sig. Has gobs of pics so you should be able to get an idea what yours might look like. As usual just click on the gallery pic you want to see. Mike

hay u guys well i dont know if were still on my wagon lol but im not going to rat it im going to make a Barracuda wagon 66 Barracuda clip and a dark almost blood red with a havy flake

I recently attended "The Day Of The Drags" in Temple, TX. Saw some junk, saw some nicely put together rats. One of 'em ran the 1/4 in 8.5 seconds at a speed that should have made parts FLY off of the thing. I also attend the Lonestar Round-up every year here in Austin. Basically the biggest rat rod gathering in the USA. Lotsa junk, lotsa WTF cars too, but some nice pieces too.

In MY opinion, a rat rod is PRE 60's. Preferably WAY pre-60's. I don't have one, don't want one. I get a kick outta all those rat rod guys lovin' my 1964 Cadillac. Apparently the Caddy makes me OK in their eyes. I'm sure next spring, at he next Lonestar Round-up, they'll be thumbin' their noses at my 1965 Valiant /6 with a blower stickin' outta the hood. Personally, I think it'll be cooler than their jalopy.

Attachments

• Petunia stuff 025.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Caddy at lake.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 274
slab sided 'buckets'..........rat machine........a combination of rat rod and street machine. Its what my wagon is. that or a beater rod

Attachments

• general ongoings 015.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 263
So your saying that you are a H.A.M.B. Alliance Member? :-D

I'm on the H.A.M.B. but not an alliance member. I rarely get on there anymore as there is such an influx of crap in the past 2 years, it's not worth my time to wade through it to find the threads worth viewing.

I am assuming you are talking about my truck.

First off...I don't think you have been around enough to know what the old timers did with their cars unless you know all of the old timers in the whole world. My dad and his buddies grew up real poor and in a real **** neighborhood in the industrial side of town. They didn't have money just ingenuity and scrap. Somehow they were able to piece together cars from scrap and make them safe enough to drive....yes they were rusty and crusty but that's what a jalopy is. Guess what? They drove the **** out of em then sold them to their even poorer friends.

Secondly my truck had spent the last 30 years sitting in a field rotting away. It would have never moved had I not saw the beauty in the patina that mother nature gave it. I feel that slapping a coat of bondo and primer over that beautiful finish would be sacraligous. Who am I to change what God and Mother earth did to this truck. Most people who encounter it LOVE IT. Only those without vision or appreciation for the sublime are scared.

Thirdly it is slightly uncomfortable but that's my mistake. I went for form over function on the seating arrangement. Easy fix.

So you my friend are the ignorant one...by having a closed minded opinion you have shown your true colors.

Get back to your four door and buff the paint and chrome till your arms fall off.......guess what? All the paint and chrome in the world will never make a 4 door look valiant good. Load it up with 3 old ladies and thats a different story.

G'day grandma.

Please note the highlighted portion immediately after the underscored and italicized portion of your statement.

With your devotion to all you feel your deity does I presume you must not use modern medicine, or go to the hospital when your sick. For after all, it is his will and should not be fucked with. :toothy10: That's all I'll say on such a ridiculous statement. Good luck with your fealty.

No, I obviously don't know all the old timers in the world, I do know however most of them, are great bullshitters. The number of times I've been in a car I've owned and they've owned the exact same one with "options only their car had" that were never even options or were options for the wrong make, model or manufacturer is insane.

I am however a HUGE fan of "period correct" builds and have spent countless hours, searching old magazines, books etc researching hot rod and custom builds and motorcycle builds. And I tell you what, I've never come across a butchered rat rod in my factual research. The hot rod may not be top notch in appearance, but they sure as hell weren't jerry-rigged rusted out bodies with street signs for floor boards. That was saved for the cobbled together customs and even then it was hidden underneath sparkly paint.

Um yea...I'm sure that's exactly the way people felt the first time they saw a model T without fenders.....:angry7: it's ugly, I have never seen something like this in any magazine or newspaper or dealer brochures....some nit wit "butchered" a perfectly good car.....haters have been around since the first person dared to be different.

There will always be cynics and that's what makes the cars you hate so much more interesting.

Progression man. That's what keeps the hobby alive.

love a little more man....remember these cars are recycled.

Peace:cheers:

couple of lovely cars there, boys. here in australia, we got some great a-bodies too. but they're all 4 doors.
each car that's being driven is one less going to the crusher. so hey, we're being environmental!
my old white '67 sedan ('veronica') was an absolute beater and i loved it. warm /6, low, wide steelies with stock chrome trim.
(attached pic was about halfway through build, after i'd punched the nose in - funny how much clear space i got on the road when i was rocking this look!)
n649759041_2010550_3811.jpg

then the black 67 VC V8 wagoon ('lilly'), which had absolutely crazed metalflake black paint from the previous owner. best thing he did was black out the windows.
i was a hard-core goth back then and mainly used it to transport my bass guitars and amp stack to and from gigs.
i'd always planned going to satin black with full chrome. but it got written off before i'd finished the job.
n649759041_2010564_9642.jpg

next one will be a '63 ap5 or '67 VC in gasser style, high nose, low arse, steelies, side pipe hot /6, green red or blue tinted glass (to match seat colour).
doesn't matter what colour the duco is, as long as it's not red!

well some of u guys wanted to know if the wagon was for sell will it is pm me and so is the 64 4 door or right trade u get both u have to come get them one runs drives 64 4 door wagon will need towed but the brakes work will need floors well thy both do just the wagon needs them alot more mopar trades only thanks

next one will be a '63 ap5 or '67 VC in gasser style, high nose, low arse, steelies, side pipe hot /6, green red or blue tinted glass (to match seat colour).
doesn't matter what colour the duco is, as long as it's not red![/QUOTE]

So what is a VC or a ap5 or duco for that matter?
Cool looking cars there though, especially the wagon. I love that there are hot slants down under.

Tim

hiya. the VC was an australian valiant model - 66 and 67. it followed the AP5 and AP6 (AP being Australian Production). the last of the 4-door a-bodies in australia.
there is a fantastic website which details these models - search australian vc valiant and i'm sure you'll catch it.
sory - lazy right now. i'll posr the url later.

awsome fun car. small, the v8 version is now billed as the first aussie muscle car.
but the slamt had the best balance.
poverty pack was the slant six, bench seats, no heater.

*sigh*

couple of lovely cars there, boys. here in australia, we got some great a-bodies too. but they're all 4 doors.
each car that's being driven is one less going to the crusher. so hey, we're being environmental!
my old white '67 sedan ('veronica') was an absolute beater and i loved it. warm /6, low, wide steelies with stock chrome trim.
(attached pic was about halfway through build, after i'd punched the nose in - funny how much clear space i got on the road when i was rocking this look!)
n649759041_2010550_3811.jpg

then the black 67 VC V8 wagoon ('lilly'), which had absolutely crazed metalflake black paint from the previous owner. best thing he did was black out the windows.
i was a hard-core goth back then and mainly used it to transport my bass guitars and amp stack to and from gigs.
i'd always planned going to satin black with full chrome. but it got written off before i'd finished the job.
n649759041_2010564_9642.jpg

doesn't matter what colour the duco is, as long as it's not red!

I think you need to stop tailgating. :toothy10: The '67 sedan looks purely evil. I wouldn't ever fix it!

Some call this a rat, others call it junk...........either way it is mine and don't care what others want to call it.....build what you want how you want it and call it what you want.....
IMG_1464.jpg

she's a beauty. i wish we had some of those 2-doors here in oz.

oh and tnt cbody, you're right - i shouldnt tailgate when i'm running drum brakes ha ha ha.
no, it was a power pole wat bit the sedan in the nose. and it was a sales rep who ran a red light and took out the wagon.

i'm planning my next build. it's been ten years since my last confesion.
there's a couple of awesome supercharged and turbo'd slant 6's here in oz. i reckon my next will be a slant running a dual single-barrel carb 'speco' setup (already got that in the garage!) with nitros. yeah? yeah?

-
Back