Ratchet shifter

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
Just installed a 727 with reverse manual on my 67 coronet. Is there a ratchet shifter out there that will plug into stock console?

There's no direct "plug and play" shifter that I know of. I installed a B&M quicksilver under the console of my Cuda where the factory shifter was. It was a little work but worth it IMO

Attachments

• DSC02224-1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 508
  • DSC02509.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 478
The cable coming out the front is a PITA. Shifters with the cable coming out the back are a lot more mechanically friendly but there's not many to choose from

Yes B&M Quicksilver will work and with a little ingenuity and patience you can actually use the stock console with the shift indicator plate. It actually looks like the car came with a B&M shifter. So cool. I just installed this past week and was pretty stoked on the final look. I would load some pictures but computer in a bad mood right now.

Cable ended up being the easiest part. Nice with all that linkage out of the way too. Here's those pictures. Don't have one with console in place yet. Waiting for shifter knob with magic button to show up.:blob:

Attachments

• IMG_20150306_094830023.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_20150306_094856323_HDR.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20150306_094934503.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_20150306_094947610.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_20150306_095011468.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 463
The route to the trans is the challenge for me. I've cooked a bunch of cables on my a body and had to run a pretty crazy loop to avoid the headers.

Put a heat sleeve on the cable. Will save a lot of grief . you can get one at Advance or Auto zone.

Put a heat sleeve on the cable. Will save a lot of grief . you can get one at Advance or Auto zone.

Agreed. My first cable didn't even make it out of the garage. I put a heat sleeve on the replacement and haven't had any trouble since even though it's pretty close to the headers in one spot

Is the heat shield you guys using specific to the shifter cables or is it just a generic heat shield for wires and cables in general? Is the shield like spark plug boot protective material?

Is the heat shield you guys using specific to the shifter cables or is it just a generic heat shield for wires and cables in general? Is the shield like spark plug boot protective material?

Generic for wires and cables. I've seen it in a few different styles and some are similar to spark plug wire protective shield. I looked for the highest rated stuff I could find that didn't cost a fortune.

Couple of photos with interior back in. Still waiting for shifter knob with line lock button.

Attachments

• IMG_20150312_181128812.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_20150312_180847987.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20150312_181110650.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 361
quicksilver seems to be the 'go to' for factory consoles. I used it in my '65 coronet 500 and my '68 coronet r/t, both with reverse patterns. I reworked the detents to remove the reverse lockout and fit them comfortably under the console plates.i ran the cable with sleeve (dei) and fabbed a tab at the upper started bolt to hold the cable against the block/bellhousing. the nice part is it curves back and stays in a three inch gate.

Attachments

• 68 5-11-11 023.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 362
I did the Quicksilver also, but used the cover that comes with it on top of the console. It puts the shifter a little higher for a better reach.

Attachments

• console 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 344
  • console 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 343
Wow, really nice work. I'm looking at same thing in my 65 Dart. I've been waiting for a shift cable from Imperial Services via Schumacher Services, going on two months now. If that doesn't happen I'm now going to try and fit a new shifter under my factory console as you guys did. Between the Hurst Pro-Matic or the B&M Quick Silver any one have a preference? I think either one would work with a little finagling (that a word?) :)

There's a post in general discussion right now a seller has new hurst promatic's on ebay $99.00. Both shifters appear to be pretty similar.

Thanks newby! I went and checked Ebay site for $99, it looks legit. Checking after work tomorrow if my cable from Imperial will be coming, if not will get Hurst shifter & make it work. Thanks for info that's big savings!!! :)

You're welcome but credit must be given to SB69GTS. He was the original poster. :glasses7:

I put a turboaction cheeta shifter in the stock location, in the console on my 68 barracuda. was a bit--h, lot of rigging, but works very well, glad I went to the trouble.

Between the Hurst Pro-Matic or the B&M Quick Silver any one have a preference? I think either one would work with a little finagling (that a word?) :)

I don't know this to be truth but I have read that the Hurst shifters wear out quicker. My father-in-law bought a 65 Rambler that someone installed a 350 Chevy in and it has a Promatic and man is it sloppy, but we also don't know how old it is. Could be 30 yrs. old for all we know

I'm sure with driving the car only in summer it won't take the wear an tear of full time abuse. I bought the $99 Hurst Pro-Matic off E-bay should be here end of week, we'll see how it all goes together ( fingers crossed ). Of course getting my driveshaft would also help getting it back on the road, details, details............

Just take your time, mock up what you can before doing anything permanent. Soon enough you'll be grabbing gears like the big dogs. :burnout::burnout::burnout:

-
Back