Re-built 727 - No Upshift!!

-

dusterbd451

"cruise, race, live!"
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my newest issue that plagues me putting miles on my duster before winter. Engine , Rear end and Tranny have all been rebuilt, and the tranny in particular has been built by a reputable builder in my city, but installed by myself when i put the engine in. Here is the Issue. The tranny goes into P-R-N-D ETC..., But when in drive, it does not shift out of first gear. When shifted manually, it will not go out of first gear either. I can get her up to 4000rpm, then let off the gas because it woun't shift, then if i give it gas, it sounds like it is just reving and not in a gear...then if i manually down shift to first, it kicks down. Is there a pressure issue in the tranny or do the bands need to be tightened or has anyone had this issue.?? thanks.

SG

Have you consulted with the "reputable builder"? I would do that before going too far. If you inadvertently do damage to the trans while trying to diagnose the problem you may have less recourse trying to pin the problem on the builder later.

No upshift can be any number of things including:

1. Low fluid level
2. Incorrect throttle linkage adjustment
3. Kickdown band out of adjustment
4. Hydraulic pressures too high or low
5. Governor sticking
6. Valve body malfunction or leakage
7. Accumulator sticking, broken rings or spring
8. Clutches or servos sticking or not operating
9. Faulty oil pump
10. Kickdown servo, band or linkage malfunction
11. Worn or faulty front clutch
12. Worn or broken input shaft and/or reaction shaft support rings

i had this happen to me once on a trans that i did myself. i broke one of the cast iron sealing rings on the governor support. those things are easy to break. $0.35 part but i had to take the trans out and apart to figure out what was wrong. i suggest limping the car over to the guy who built the trans and have him air check it.

Deffinitly talk to the rebuilder immediately. If you paid to have it rebuilt it should be right and you shouldn't have to work on it. If I had a guess to the problem I'd guess it's what swinger367 said. It also could be he installed a valve backwards when assembling the valve body. Either of those problems can be fixed without taking the trans out.

#'s 2-3-7 and 9 70duster440 mentioned are highly unlikey to cause this problem without causing other problems like no drive at all or harsh shifting.

well...took the car to the tranny doctor today, and it is not just an adjustment....it is something internal, and the only way to get warranty is to bring the car / tranny back to the shop which is 1.5hrs away in an other city...so i guess i am taking MORE time off work to sort out "Luci"

Finally got the ole' girl back from the doctor. They took the valve body out and found some debris blocking one of the valves. So needless to say, it is fixed and i can enjoy her for a bit before winter.

-
Back