re drilling 8.75 axles (at home)

-

dodgethis12

Reaction score
I know this this is considered by some a no no, and those that do accept it say its a machine shop only procedure. Besides centering the pattern on the flange.... this could reasonably be done at home by a COMPETENT builder/fabricator. Anyone here done their own?

I would never try it on something I plan to use. You can never get it perfecet like the machine shop. Just send them to Moser.

I'll take a shot. You need a set of wheel adapters, 4 to 4.5. You knock the 4.5 studs out and bolt the adapter to the axle shaft. Measure your new stud with a micrometer, test drill another peice of steel and test the fit in the metal. You should have to drive them, but not enough to remove the spines on the stud. Then using a drill press, center on each hole where you knocked the studs out and drill all before removing the adapter. Knock the old studs out of the axle, knock the new ones in. The wheel adapter gives you the drill pattern and if you take your time and go slow you can do a real good job. I pick up adapters at swap meets, only use them one time per drill and measure twice. The front drums on my cuda where done that way and I have never had any trouble. If you do front drums you have to GRIND the stud off from the wheel side to leave the crimp where the factory presses them together. If you knock those studs out, you have 2 parts, hub and drum, Not Good. Hope this helps. Although if you want to give Moser your money, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. And don't try this at home, I'm a professional.

I have to agree with Hyper-pak, its not rocket science. I think I would use a transfer punch as well as the wheel adapter. It would not be hard to get the correct hole diameter, you could get a new stud, measure it and figure from there. I would drill the hole slightly undersize and ream to final size. Definitely use a drill press to keep things square. Let us know how it goes.

remember, on SBP axles, if drilling for the BBP, you want to drill and tap the holes and run bolts in from the back. If you drill big enough for press-in studs, you lose too much meat on the outside of the axle flange.

If I were going that route, I'd try it at home.... I was quoted $60 to drill and tap my 8mm Mauser for scope mounts... that's only 3 holes.... I bought a couple of the right size drill bits and 3 taps and did my own... along with 3 or 4 others....

If worse comes to worse, if you ruin it, you can still run the SBP.

-
Back