Re-drilling front drums?

-

Vinskeeter

Reaction score
Hi every one! This is my first attempt on a forum of any kind, I hope I'm doing thia the right way.

Because of the expense, I'm not ready to convert my '72 Dart to front disc brakes yet, but I would like to change it to a large bolt pattern set up. Can I have the drums re-drilled for a 4-1/2" pattern with 1/2" studs? The back is o.k. because I swapped axles to a 8-1/4".

Thanks, Vince

I'm not sure, but someone will know :help: :scratch:

Welcome to FABO

Ok, Im confused.

If you are converting the front to disc, you won't need the drums at all.

He said he's not ready to convert to discs. He's wondering if he could redrill new holes into the axles and drums and put in new studs (I think). I believe you can and is a cheap bbp switch. I just don't know how it would be done and the safety factor.

Hi every one! This is my first attempt on a forum of any kind, I hope I'm doing thia the right way.

Because of the expense, I'm not ready to convert my '72 Dart to front disc brakes yet, but I would like to change it to a large bolt pattern set up. Can I have the drums re-drilled for a 4-1/2" pattern with 1/2" studs? The back is o.k. because I swapped axles to a 8-1/4".

Thanks, Vince
Yep, you can get just your front drums re-drilled to the 5 on 4.5 pattern. I just did the hubs and drums for my 9 inch front drums. BUT I did use 1/2 screw in studs instead of press in (there really isn't a whole lot of meat left on the hub if you drill for press in studs). I have done the 1/2 press in studs on my old valiant wagon and had about 80k mikes on that setup and it never failed but I wanted a little more meat left on the hub by going to the screw in setup

Then I converted over to scarebird conversion when I got the bucks to get new parts.
yes you can do 9" front drums. 10" is even easier more "meat" to hold the studs since the hub is sightly larger in diameter.
here's mine with the drums off. 9" hubs

just as I got the scarebird adapters and then took the hub and drums to the machinist to get then redrilled to the larger pattern. I still had 3/8th of an inch left of meat to the outside on the hub after drilling. so now I've got dual pattern hubs and drums IF for some reason I wanted to go back to drums or small bolt pattern.

View attachment DSCF2791.jpg
the package I needed to make it work
View attachment DSCF2792.jpg

and how I got the studs out without ruining the drums, I drilled the head off and whacked them through from the back. so In the unlikely event someone needed a set of 9 inch drum I had a good set.
View attachment DSCF2793.jpg

here it is drilled and converted to scarebird with 1/2" x 2" screw in studs
View attachment DSCF2966.jpg

test fitting a 14 inch rim
View attachment DSCF2965.jpg

He said he's not ready to convert to discs. He's wondering if he could redrill new holes into the axles and drums and put in new studs (I think). I believe you can and is a cheap bbp switch. I just don't know how it would be done and the safety factor.

Oh, sorry. I didn't read that correctly.

-
Back