Rear Alt Bracket needed

-

djwhog

Reaction score
OK on the 64 dart I have gone with the later timing cover and water pump for AC cars on the 340. So now my old rear alternator bracket from the 273 will not fit over the extended water pump. The old cast pumps were much lower profile.

So I need a brackek for these later style water pumps for the alternator. This is the bracket that get the spacer and the long bolt and attaches to the head and the water pump.

I have an early bracket for sale or trade if needed. It has been black powder coated and looks great!

Thanks!

So Maybe I am just confused? On the old style they have a stought bracket tht bolts to the head and is the spacer all in one.

I looked at my 78 360 much diff than what I need this truck has AC.

I do have a chrome bracket kit that includes the long slode bracket and a triangle part that seems like it bolts to the water pump to the timing cover..

So do I just need a longer bolt and some spacers?
Here are some pics I have found and the chome parts I have.

But then what supports the rear of the alternator? Or am I ok without a rear support? I am going back with most likely a 75 amp or larger Powermaster unit.

Alt Brackets.jpg

chrome_bkt.gif

Mine don't have a bracket on the back side either. Just the front ones you show in the picture that bolt to the water pump. It does require a spacer on the back though. My car was cobbled up when I got it using 7/16 nuts and washers for the spacer. I went to the local Ace hardware and bought a spacer for $2 and cut it to the proper length.

Thanks guys, I did see a few late cars that do have a bracket that mounts to the back, cradles the bottom of the alternator and bolts to the front and the water pump. It is similar to my 78 truck with a 360 and AC.

I just kept looking at it and it seemed like it was lacking, but guess not.

So I just need the spacer and will work with the brackets I have. I am sure it will be OK...

Well it is just not near as strong as the early stuff was back in 64. I guess they were a little over kill for only a 35 amper...

thanks again guys!

-
Back