rear backspace seems off

-
They're just different is all, I wouldn't say either is a "problem". There's significantly more room to the body on the Demons/Dusters, so even stock vs stock the backspace numbers are different to center the wheels on a Demon/Duster vs a Dart or Valiant.

Also, for jcarr210- take a look at the spring perches on your rear axle housing. If they appear to be the stock welds, measure the perches. If they're 44" on center you have a B body rear that has been incorrectly installed. Unfortunately it seems like more than a few folks out there install the B-rears and either slot the spring perches or just pull the springs out wider. A-body's are supposed to have a 43" C-C measurement on the perches. Using the B-body perches puts a bunch of side load on the hangers and shackles, and reduces your tire clearance too.

Offset hangers fix that and give you more clearance!

I'll check it out and put pics up. So if left completely alone and not addressed they're essentially forced to fit into the 44" perches. The rims are on back order until the 8th so I figure I'll have everything on the car by the 11th.

Offset hangers fix that and give you more clearance!

Only if you move the perches.

I'll check it out and put pics up. So if left completely alone and not addressed they're essentially forced to fit into the 44" perches. The rims are on back order until the 8th so I figure I'll have everything on the car by the 11th.

Yes, if it is a B-body rear and the perches are still in the stock b-body location the springs are being forced out to 44" c-c, from the stock 43" c-c.

Would that be noticable?

Yes. The springs are visibly angled if they're wedged out that much. And it will be a royal pain to install the shackles or the rear axle, whichever you install last, because you'll be fighting the springs to finish the install.

Hard to say if you'd notice the handling difference, I'd wager the springs would bind up more often but you'd have to be pushing fairly hard to notice the difference. And of course you'd chew up the spring eye and shackle bushings faster. But since most people dont put tens of thousands of miles on their old Mopars you might not ever go far enough for it to be a problem.

Or you could just do it right and not worry about it.

-
Back