Rear brake drum question

-

75ddart

Reaction score
I just put the shorter of the B body rears in my dart. I transferred the 8/14 backing plates and brakes from that diff onto the B body diff, only because they were all new months ago. I reused the 8/14 brake drums since they were used on the 8/14. I have new drums sitting in the boxes for the B body diff I had. Both drums B body ,8/34 and the 8/14 are ten inch. So my question does anyone know if these new drums would work with the 8/14 backing plates and brakes. I slid one drum on and doesn't appear to be any interference or anything but still a little skeptical on using the B body drums. Any help with this would be great thanks.

Why wouldn't a B body drum work on a B body rear?

If they fit and no issues, run em. I would double check your shoe width and the width of the shoe surface inside the drum to be sure they match.

Agree with your reply, but since I used the backing plates and shoes from the 8/14 I wasn't sure I could use the drums. I did slide them on and adjusted them and didn't notice and interference while turning the wheel. I just get a little concerned when swapping parts. Drums are 10 inch and the shoes are 2.5 inch wide so I should be ok. Going to check the local parts store where I got them to see if they have any specs on the drums and if their is any difference from an early B body diff (8/34) to the later 8/14 diff. If I can use them with no issues I am. Will save me buying new drums.

go to rock auto & see if they are the same part #. LAwrence

-
Back