Rear brake question

-

billd56

Reaction score
If i use volare spindles in the front for disc brakes with a bigger bolt pattern, is there any thing that is a direct swap to make the rear axle the same bolt pattern on a 69 dart?

Thanks,
Bill

spend more money.If you have an 8 3/4 300$ at mancini gets new axels with b.b.p.have drums re drilled and machined center hole or put b body brake system on it$$$$$

Assuming you have a 8 3/4" rear you can drill your axles to the 4 1/2" bolt pattern along with your brake drums. Drill and tap the holes for 1/2" screw-in studs as you will not have enough room at the edge of the axles for press-in studs. Using 7/16" press-in studs will give you about 1/8" of material left to the edge...spooky!

If you are purchasing new axles this would be the perfect opportunity to swap to larger brakes. Your brakes are 10" X 1 3/4", assuming you have a 8 3/4". Picking up brakes from a larger car gives you 10" X 2 1/2" drums. If you look hard enough you can find the 11" X 2 1/2" drum set-ups. Make sure it has the correct 5 bolts attachment (backing plate to the axle tubes). If the rear end you are taking the brakes from is a 8 3/4" then it'll fit. Do your homework if it's coming off a different rear end as it will probably not fit your 8 3/4". Later model cars went to the inspection cover type rears (8 1/4, 9 1/4", etc.). In my opinion, this would be the CORRECT and should be the only way of changing your rear wheel bolt pattern.

BTW, I don't think the Volare/Aspen spindles will work on your car. You need to look for a 73-76 A-body disc brake spindle. Hope this helps your project car.

YES the F body Volare/Aspen spindles/rotors/calipers/etc. WILL work. (NOT the uca's or lca's) Done the swap myself and so have many people with very good results.

YES the F body Volare/Aspen spindles/rotors/calipers/etc. WILL work. (NOT the uca's or lca's) Done the swap myself and so have many people with very good results.

I stand corrected on that. I've never used F body spindles and was told don't work. Sorry if I misinformed anyone. Can't find these cars in the wrecking yards anymore...

On the rears, I am using the rear disk brakes from a late '90s Jeep grand cherokee...I have an 8 3/4 in my cuda

There is a little bit of modification to be done but all of it simple. I haven't quite figured out how to make a rear e-brake cable I think there is a company in town that can help me out there.

-
Back