rear brake shoe size

-

csx452

Reaction score
I need to replace the rear brakes on my 72 Dart. It's a 225 automatic with a 7 1/4 rear. Does anyone know the size of the shoes? The car is not close by and I'd like to have the correct parts when I go to replace them.
Thanks,
Frank

From the 1972 factory service manual the standard brake size for a /6 and auto trans: fronts 9 x 2.5, rears 9 x 2.

Unless you have 10" brakes which is quite possible. 9" were the bottom-of-the-barrel brakes and didn't work well at all. 10" were somewhat better and disc brakes were the best.

A slant six -- got Exactly and ONLY -- 9" x 2.5" in the Front
and ONLY -- 9" x 2" in the Back........
and I have some N.O.S. ++ ASBESTOS ++ for both applications!!!!!!
About 9 sets of Fronts and 4 sets of Rears remaining..... with Chryslers @ Carlisle around the corner ...... Craig .... New York....

A slant six -- got Exactly and ONLY -- 9" x 2.5" in the Front
and ONLY -- 9" x 2" in the Back........

Pretty sure you're mistaken. My slant six '72 Swinger has factory Kelsey Hayes disks, with 10" drums in back.

Says so in the VIN, too...

Those are very unique cars you men have -- or there was an upgrade that happened before you owned the car......

By the book -- and we know it is sometimes not 100.00% correct ---
slant sixes "Never" came with the 4 piston caliper disc brakes -- that was limited to a small fraction of the "top end" cars --- and all equipped with 8 cylinders....

And again, by the book, --- the 8 cylinders with 4 wheel drums had
10" x 2 1/4" on the front and 10" x 1 3/4" on the rear......

So if you have what you have and it is factory original -- it falls under the category
of the Chrysler world did some strange things --- that we know about --- and more that
we learn about through the years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back