Rear Bumper Alignment

-

Hueydriver

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a '71 Duster, and as can seen in the photo the rear bumper does not align correctly with the body. At first I thought it was because someone had raised the car using the bumper and had bent the mounting brackets. Before I remove the bumper and attempt to realign the mounting brackets, I have to ask if the brackets could be installed incorrectly? By that I mean are the brackets made specifically for each side, or are they interchangeable? Rather than try to realign them I am thinking I can remove them, switch sides and reinstall them and hopefully the bumper will align better with the body. Any advice will be appreciated.
image0.jpeg

Make sure your body where the brackets bolt on is at a 90 with the bottom of the taillight section. If it is your brackets are bent. No the brackets cannot be switched. Were the quarters replaced? Here are some pictures of original cars with original quarters never hit. You are missing the rubber pads on the body at the ends of the bumper. They were never perfect

100_0192.JPG

100_0193.JPG

DSCN1015.JPG

DSCN1242.JPG

100_0147 (2).JPG

DSCN2528.JPG

spoiler pics 668.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

All, thanks for your input. Gives me a lot to go forward with. I do not know if the car was ever hit in the rear, but now I believe I know how to move forward. Thanks again for your responses. This site is awesome.

Make sure your body where the brackets bolt on is at a 90 with the bottom of the taillight section. If it is your brackets are bent. No the brackets cannot be switched. Were the quarters replaced? Here are some pictures of original cars with original quarters never hit. You are missing the rubber pads on the body at the ends of the bumper. They were never perfect

View attachment 1716195744

View attachment 1716195745

View attachment 1716195748

View attachment 1716195749

View attachment 1716195750

View attachment 1716195752

View attachment 1716195754

View attachment 1716195756
What was the question? lol

I have a '71 Duster, and as can seen in the photo the rear bumper does not align correctly with the body. At first I thought it was because someone had raised the car using the bumper and had bent the mounting brackets. Before I remove the bumper and attempt to realign the mounting brackets, I have to ask if the brackets could be installed incorrectly? By that I mean are the brackets made specifically for each side, or are they interchangeable? Rather than try to realign them I am thinking I can remove them, switch sides and reinstall them and hopefully the bumper will align better with the body. Any advice will be appreciated.
View attachment 1716195682
My guess is no. I have a tool we call "pogo stick" a pry bar hooked to a chain basically. It would align that in short work.

-
Back