Rear Bumper - Chrome vs Smoked Lights & Black

-

knute_gis

Reaction score
Thought I would share a before & after pic.

11170359_692410234220256_5200786970760046298_n.jpg

Not a fan of painted bumpers makes the car look like the owner was too cheap to spend the money on having them rechromed...

Not a fan of painted bumpers makes the car look like the owner was too cheap to spend the money on having them rechromed...

don`t think there is even a re-chroming place around here now, epa shut them all down!

i hate painted bumpers.... mine came painted after i sort out other issues... these are going back to chrome! wonder how hard it is to strip the paint?

Attachments

• 00404_aAomg8dokce_600x450.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 242
Before picture looks a ton better, IMO

I have to agree
there is a member on here who has a gorgeous blue challenger BUT the bumpers are painted and it just kills the looks for me

I appreciate the work your doing to the car and making it yours which is cool
but ill keep my rust stained chromies

I prefer painted bumpers on some cars and chrome on others.I like yours painted.Some of these guys are so old fashioned they still have dial phones:):):)

Either way looks good. The factory had painted bumper options on some, so there's not a thing wrong with it done right, IMO and you did a good job.

I like the looks of your black bumper. Some smoked out tailights I see here in Arizona IMHO are a safety issue as they block out too much of the light, particularly in the daytime. Hopefully yours are OK as they look cool.

That was the only other thing I would add. You should check your local laws regarding lights. You might find that any type of modifications there are considered improper lighting. Just something to think about.

I hate chrome! I would rather have a satin or painted look than cheesy *** chrome.

I'may for chrome, but the one fellow is correct, we're to cheap to rechrome. It would cost me over $2,000 to rechrome all the parts on my 65 V200 Valiant, instead I opted for powder coating, costed $350 to do it. Lol its preference and cost. Your bumper came out looking good, did you accent the rest of the car with black? ������

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 161
Yeah, you've basically opened yourself to everybody's personal preference when
you ask that kind of question. I like any look as long it's done well, and if it pleases
the owner, that's what counts. If the blackout theme is carried thru for all of the trim
it looks fine. tarvin doesn't like his painted bumpers, but I think it looks fine as well.
I left the chrome on my '72 swinger,which was white, but I'm considering going mono-
chrome on my duster. That paint shouldn't be too hard to remove btw, but who knows
whats underneath, maybe a tradeable core or shiny chrome!?
Either way, your the one who sees it every day, and it has to make YOU happy. Nice
job, only comment I have is are the bumperettes going back on, or is there something
going in those holes? The light/safety thing goes dittos for me, not worth getting hit in
the rear to look cool. Maybe some hi-output LEDs in there will make that a non-issue.
Enjoy Your ride & cheers:coffee2:

I prefer painted bumpers on some cars and chrome on others.I like yours painted.Some of these guys are so old fashioned they still have dial phones:):):)

Old fashioned no ...prefer to spend the money so my cars look correct/good.

don`t think there is even a re-chroming place around here now, epa shut them all down!

Tri-city plating in Tenn. does some of the best work i've seen..the shipping costs are well worth the finished product.

body color bumpers are one thing but in my opinion I think the black just does not work at all unless the whole car is black, but you put it out there lol

If you like it then it's great. You are the one putting in the work, time, and money. My 67 cuda I think painted bumpers would not work. But from your before and after pics it has grown on me. Thumbs up!

-
Back