rear diff choices

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Need opinions. I have a dart sport with a stock 360 with an 8/14 rear with 3.21 gears that has bearing noise, not sure if it's carrier or axle yet. So thinking next year may be doing some racing in street class once in a while, with either street tires or DOT slicks. My question is do I stay with the 8/14 and repalce all the bearings and put in a sure grip or locker. I also have two 8/34 rears, one out of a late 60's B body that needs goin through or the A body 8/34 that also needs going through, but has the small bolt axles, which I would replace with the 4.5 bolt axles. Just how strong is the 8/14 diff. using say DOT slicks with good traction? I do have a 355 and 391 centersections for the 8/34 but are both opens, so I would need tp get a sure grip for one of these to. Have a few options, just not sure which is the best way to go. Trying to decide which is the most cost effective route to go, so I need some ideas, Thanks in advance. :dontknow:

Spend your money once and do up the 8 3/4. The 8 1/4 will hold up for a mild build but the 8 3/4 is much stronger.

Spend your money once and do up the 8 3/4. The 8 1/4 will hold up for a mild build but the 8 3/4 is much stronger.

Thanks, thats what I've been sort of leaning towards. Not looking to go fast just consistant. Thinking 3.55's that way it's still streatable and be able to play with once in a while on the track.

The 'A' body 8 3/4 sounds like a no brainer to me and if you need the large BC for the wheels, that's not too hard either.

So next question. I go with the 4.5 bolt pattern axles,for the 8/34 then what drums do I get or re drill the existing drums?

The big axles have a different offset and iirc, so do the backing plates but when you go with the large bolt pattern, go with the B body backing plates and drums....and I'd go with the 11" ones.

The big axles have a different offset and iirc, so do the backing plates but when you go with the large bolt pattern, go with the B body backing plates and drums....and I'd go with the 11" ones.

Appears that I may be in buisiness then. So I can use the backing plates from my the other 8/34 from the B body and just get new brake shoes and drums, then get the 4.5 axles aftermarket and everything should work ? Next question I assume that the parking brake cables from the earlier style small bolt rear will work with the later 8/14 park brake set up? Still need this as the car will still be street legal.

Appears that I may be in buisiness then. So I can use the backing plates from my the other 8/34 from the B body and just get new brake shoes and drums, then get the 4.5 axles aftermarket and everything should work ? Next question I assume that the parking brake cables from the earlier style small bolt rear will work with the later 8/14 park brake set up? Still need this as the car will still be street legal.
Not positive on that but I swapped out a roached out 9 1/4 pickup rear for a good 8 3/4 and the park brake cables worked in the 8 3/4 from the 9. Mom tried to use redundancy as much as she could.

-
Back