Rear Diff Cover Gasket Question..

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
I went to autozone and picked up a new gasket for my rear diff cover and they sold me one with 10 holes.. (for my 65 dart v8 ) I called them and they said, "nope, that's the correct one" but it obviously isn't. Does anyone know the gasket part number? Because this one is obviously wrong and they dont know what one is correct...

See which diff you have,mrmopartech

index.jpg

Try a FelPro RDS12775. Sometimes you have to get creative about what you ask for ('68 Dart w/170 slant). What's up with listings for a part that wasn't even used until 8 years after the car was made?

no need for gasket go to dealer an get the gray rtv it will not leak ..... there gray is intended for diff plus it works !!!

THANK you all for some great responses to sucha stupid question!

Which diff do you have in there,7 1/4,8 1/4,8 3/4.Did you check the picture chart of diffs on the site?mrmopartech

Looks like i have the 7 1/4 because i count 9 holes, and my car is from 1965 and all. Looks like they gave me a gasket for a 8 1/4th. Thank you for the picture.. that was perfect!

Try a FelPro RDS12775. Sometimes you have to get creative about what you ask for ('68 Dart w/170 slant). What's up with listings for a part that wasn't even used until 8 years after the car was made?

I dont know.. if you go to autozone's site, thats the only option they give you when you order the part. Sucks. Looks like its perfect:

RDS12775_TOP.jpg

no need for gasket go to dealer an get the gray rtv it will not leak ..... there gray is intended for diff plus it works !!!

I was seriously considering that.. cause then id just goop it on and be DONE.. but i have to admit - i thought the cover was just going to have a plug that i could pull off with a flat blade screwdriver.. i dont have any of those large hex tools so i gotta figure out which one to use to get in there.. Kinda feel stupid about this whole thing. ha..

OH and one more question - does anyone know the size of the hex tool used for the diff cover plug for the 7 1/4 rear end?

I don't have any of those tools, won't need any of them except for this.. so i just wanna go get one craftsman socket. :)

retarded question #4:

is this a hex tool or a star tool for the cover? I want to pick up a set after work at autozone but i haven't had a chance to get under my car........

If it's a fairly large hex and Autozone wants $20 for a tool that will rarely get used, you may consider finding a bolt with a head that will fit snugly and grind/file flats on the threaded portion to fit a convenient wrench. That or thread a few nuts on the bolt and peen the crap out of the end so they can't go anywhere.

if you find a nut that fits it, go to a good nut/bolt store and get a "coupling nut" the same size. A coupling nut is made for connecting 2 bolts or studs together and is normally 3-4 times thicker than a regular nut.... that should work... or, thread some nuts on a bolt, weld them together on two sides and grind your welds back down so it fits in the cover plug....

OKay just to let you all know, its not a bolt or hex or torx or anything. You just put your half inch extender connected to a ratchet and go to town.

P2260004.JPG

-
Back