rear disc brakes

-

QWKSLVR

Reaction score
My brother has a 73 Duster 340 with the 8-1/4 rear and 10"drum brakes. Mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee's also have an 8-1/4 rear but with disc brakes. Does anyone know if you can remove the drums/backing plates on the Duster and replace them with the brackets/calipers/rotors from the Jeep? Just wondering if anyone has looked into this or possibly tried it. Thanks Bobby

yes, they fit awesome. ive personally done it. cant find the pics, but search the topic. i dont remember if i posted here or bbd.com but i had pics in that thread. you just have to slightly dremel the large hole that goes over the axle tube for a little extra clearence. just fyi, the jeep is actually a dana 44 if i remember right. looks just like an 8 1/4 but a little smaller...

oh, i almost forgot. i never figured out what e-brake cables to use since they are different. if you figure that out, youll have to let me know! youll see what i mean when you look at the jeep plates.

Thanks for the info. My brother is gathering the parts now and once he has everything will start putting it together. We'll let you know if we find any cables that work. Thanks again. Bobby

Wondering if there's any updates on this thread. I'm interested in doing the same conversion on my 8 & 3/4s.

Hi. No updates as yet. The Duster is in the body shop now but before it is painted he is getting it back to do some mechanical work so it will be a while before he gets to the brake swap. I'll keep you posted when it happens. Thanks Bobby

one other thing to watch for. the portion of the rear spindles that the pads slide on tend to get nasty grooves worn in them. if you have these bad enough, the pads wont slide correctly. if you have a bad set, youll see what i mean. just make sure the ones you use are not worn like that

Wondering if there's any updates on this thread. I'm interested in doing the same conversion on my 8 & 3/4s.

Summit sells a kit pretty cheap.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...922533+4294839009+4294746628+115&autoview=sku

sum-bk1329_w.jpg

There is also the Scarebird adapters.

Rear%20(1).jpg

I was just thinking!? I was wondering if the backing plates would fit on an 8 3/4? The bolt pattern looks similar to the 8 3/4 housing minus the bottom bolt, if it is the pattern all you would need to do is drill a hole on the bottom. Then of course test fitting everything to see if it would work.

DSCN9843.JPG

rear3.jpg

Summit sells a kit pretty cheap.

I wasn't aware that Summit had such a kit. I wonder it it's the same one as the one offered by TSM. TSM uses Eldorado rear disc brakes.

There is also the Scarebird adapters.

Are you using the kit from Summit in the photo with the 8 & 3/4 or is it the Scarebird adapter with parts you need to find?

I was just thinking!? I was wondering if the backing plates would fit on an 8 3/4? The bolt pattern looks similar to the 8 3/4 housing minus the bottom bolt, if it is the pattern all you would need to do is drill a hole on the bottom. Then of course test fitting everything to see if it would work.

DSCN9843.JPG

Is that set-up from the Jeep Grand Cherokee since the axle is under the springs rather than on top? If it is, then as I understand it, the axle hole in the adapter needs to be slightly enlarged and the bottom hole drilled in order to fit an 8 & 3/4.

The set up from Summit uses 87-88 Thunberbird parts.

I'm using the Scarebird adapters which uses 1979 - 1990 Cadillac Eldorado calipers and 1982 - 1987 Lincoln Continental rotors.

I believe the TSM setup it very similar to the Scarebird set up.

Yes that pic is from a Cherokee. If they work as you stated that would be awesome. You would be able to do a setup that uses all Chrysler parts, probably cheaper and uses newer parts.

Those Eldorado calipers aren't cheap.

-
Back