Rear Drum questions.

-

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked numerous times, but i was wondering, what all do i need to swap the rear drums to disc without the kit. i work at oreillys and we get our parts 2% above cost, so it would be cheaper for me to go this route, so what car would be the best bet to get these parts from?

A lil background info on the car. 74 dodge dart swinger, 318, front disc, rear drum car.

Mopar never put rear disks on the A-body as a regular production item.

The best way I know of to put rear disks on an A-body is to get a complete rear end assembly from a 77-80 Lincoln Versailles. These typically have a 9" rear with an impossible gear ratio, disk brakes, 5x4½ bolt pattern, and A-body spring perch spacing. These rears also fit first gen Mustangs and Mavericks, so the Phord guys are after these things, too.

The other way to do it is to go to Scarebird, PST, or someone like that for a rear disk kit. The kits I have seen use a lot of familiar components, though not usually Mopar sourced. Most of the people on FABO who have used them report a favorable experience.

IMO the problem with these kits is the brackets that hold the calipers in position are proprietary to the kit manufacturer. That means if the manufacturer goes belly-up, factory support for the kit vanishes.

Couldn't you use rear rotors and calipers for a 05 mustang with brackets and make your own mounts ? Hate to use Ford parts on a Mopar but if the shoe fits!!!

-
Back