Rear drum to disk with 7 1/4 rear end

-

harryhood

Kermit
Reaction score
I know this question has probably been asked and answered numerous times before but I can't find the answer using the search so here goes.

I wondering what options there are for converting rear 10" drums to disk brakes on a car with a 7 1/4 rear end with LBP spacing.

I any ideas or old threads that I could look at?

thanks

Grand Cherokee, 94 thru 98's.

Thanks for the info. I did some searching for "Grand Cherokee" here and at BBD and I see reference to using these with a 8 1/4 and 8 3/4, but no mention to anyone having done it with a 7 1/4.

Do you any additional information on what is needed to complete the swap?

cheers

im fairly certain that the 7 1/4 and 8 1/4 swaps with the cherokee parts is exactly the same. both are c-clip rears, yould just have to check on the dimensions. the 8 3/4 is different all together. if i get a chance ill try and check on my duster and see if they are actually the same dimensions...

youll need the spindle brackets and backing plates off the jeep. calipers, rotors, e brake shoes and hardware from the same vehicle also. i have not yet figured out what e brake cables work with this set up. anybody else figured it out yet???

youll need the spindle brackets and backing plates off the jeep. calipers, rotors, e brake shoes and hardware from the same vehicle also. i have not yet figured out what e brake cables work with this set up. anybody else figured it out yet???

Thanks for the information. You don't happen to have any part numbers for these items do you?

BTW: I grew up in Syracuse, a mile or so from Manley field house.

yes super, pretty much everything and sorry harry, no part numbers handy. id just hit up the junkyard if i were you. just look carfeully at the spindles when you find them. the rear pads tend to wear nasty grooves in the portions were they ride on for some reason. if you find a real bad one youll see what im talking about. one other thing too, when you go to put the spindle on the diff. you have to enlarge the hole that goes onto the axle tube slightly with a dremel to get it on. nothing major, its just a tight fit. all of the other holes line up fine with no fab. work. havent run into many cny guys on these sites, maybe a couple. i grew up in east syracuse and now im out in the sticks in pompey. i actually found my duster not far from manley field house a little over 2 years ago...

What are you referring to when you say "spindle"?

I keep coming up with only the caliper bracket, caliper, rotor. I have very little experience with rear discs...just the ones on my Ram, and there is no spindle popping out in my mind other than the axle end.

What is the questionable aspect of the E-brakes?

BTW - My sister and her family lived in Bridgeport, right on the lake. They recently sold their house and moved somewhere else in the Syracuse area (haven't memorized the address just yet).

My whole family is originally from the Rochester/Finger Lakes area.

when i say spindle, its the same thing as the caliper bracket... one peice, the caliper bracket is not removable once its on the diff. probably similar to your ram. hopefully you can tell by the picture. the problem with the ebrake is i havent found what e brake cable to use on the jeep set up since it is different then the stock drum brake set up. my lovely illustration shows how the jeep cable works. good luck...

btw my g/f went to suny brockport for 4 years so ive been in rochester dozens of times... real cool city

backingplate e brake.JPG

OK, that makes more sense to me.

The Ram is a bit different. The E-brake is built in to the caliper, and the caliper bracket attaches to the axle via another bracket with two 18mm bolts on the back side. It's also a 9.25 axle, so I expect it to be different.

I wonder if sangging the brake cables form the Jeep, and hooking them in to the E-brake handle cable from the car would work??

I need to decide if I'm going to go this route, and if I want to tackle the E-brake issue.

..and yes...I miss Rochester. Texas just doesn't measure up IMO..but this is where the good work, and low cost of living is. Not to mention that we get to drag race year round.:cheers:

Ok, it depends on what year 7 1/4. Cause your going to need the 2 1/2 offset for the 2 1/2 rear drum brakes.

I have this set up on my 8 3/4 and I helped a guy in Arkansas do this set up on his 8 1/4 rear. It's easier to do this on a c-clip rear since that's what they come off of.

-
Back