Rear end advice?!!

-

Copperhead

Reaction score
:scratch:Need advice! building a 65 V200 Valiant and am having trouble locating an 8 3/4 rear end. My stock rear end measures 53.20" flange to flange, and a spring centerline of 43.02". I'm looking to purchase a donor car so I can also use the front disc setup as well as the rear end. Does anyone know what make and model I need to be on the hunt for? maybe a site or manual that will list interchangeable parts ? Thanks

The Abody 8 3/4 will be slightly narrower then the 7 1/4 which is a good thing. It was a direct swap into my 65 with the DS shortened 2 1/4 inches. You will need shock plates, 245/60/14 still fit with room to spare. As for the brake swap look for a 72 and up disc brake Abody which gives you BBP hubs . You can also opt for an aftermarket set up but most require 10 inch drum spindles. Most people go for the first option. search for a thread on here for the disc brake swap, lots of info,

8 3/4" rears and small bolt disk brakes are expensive and very hard to find anymore
a more economical solution is to look for any late A-body with an 8 1/4 rear and matching big bolt front disks, the 8 1/4 rear is plenty strong enough for anything short of an all out race car, and the big 5X4.5" bolt pattern gives you many more choices when it comes to wheels

8 3/4" rears and small bolt disk brakes are expensive and very hard to find anymore
a more economical solution is to look for any late A-body with an 8 1/4 rear and matching big bolt front disks, the 8 1/4 rear is plenty strong enough for anything short of an all out race car, and the big 5X4.5" bolt pattern gives you many more choices when it comes to wheels
Yeah caferacerx is right, what was I thinking. A later Abody donar car will give you everything you need. Here is a link to help you with the dimensions for the swap
http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,189.0.html

So the 7.25 is narrower? I thought the width between the wheels was the same. Did you use aftermarket axles and big brakes?
?

At the cost of rear's, I was planning on purchasing a C-Body or Pickup 8-3/4 rear ($75 at boneyard) and shortening it to A-body spec's ($300-$400). I have sbp a-body axles and 323 surgrip 3rd member, so I figure $500 or so and I should have one that fits perfect.

So the 7.25 is narrower? I thought the width between the wheels was the same. Did you use aftermarket axles and big brakes?
?

Hey Daredevil, long time no see.

7 1/4 is wider than the a-body 8 3/4

width.gif

yeah my 8 3/4 is slightly narrower then the 7 1/4 I swapped out. My wheel tire combo actually fits better.

yeah my 8 3/4 is slightly narrower then the 7 1/4 I swapped out. My wheel tire combo actually fits better.

I had to go with the 14x6 Cragar rims until I upgrade the rear, at which point the 14x7's I got off FABO will fit. They sit out about 3/4" too much on each side.

Some good info here. Looks like I have to check my late B Body 8 1/4 rear ans see if it will fit my A body.

-
Back