Rear end housing width question

-

mike240

Reaction score
66 A body. Mini tubbed and spring relocate QA1 coil over rear suspension

It seems I can just about buy all new 9” Ford for the cost 8 3/4 and rebuild. But either way I go, should the rear end be left at 52 or go narrower?

Buy wheel tire combo first and decide from there?

Never done this before so thanks for experience.

66 A body. Mini tubbed and spring relocate QA1 coil over rear suspension

It seems I can just about buy all new 9” Ford for the cost 8 3/4 and rebuild. But either way I go, should the rear end be left at 52 or go narrower?

Buy wheel tire combo first and decide from there?

Never done this before so thanks for experience.
The reason for narrowing the rear-end is so you dont have a huge offset wheel if you want to take advantage of the width of your new found space.

My vote is get wheels and tires and see what you have to work with

I'd go with the shortest backspacing possible in the wheels you want, then measure for the rearend so it works with those wheels and tires. This will make it easier to take the wheels on and off. Plus, it saves a tiny bit of weight, though not much. I've got 15 x 10" wheels (4.5" BS) with 315/60/15 drag radials on my '66 Dart and it's a pain in the *** taking the wheels on and off. If they had 3.5" backspacing, it would make a world of difference.

I would figure out the most section width you comfortably have between the spring and fender and wheeltub, get the wheels to mount them properly, width wise, and then narrow the rear to put the wheels where they need to be.
So, to make a long ramble short.... yeah, wheels and tires first.

Make the tire and wheel decision first. I say go 9".

You mite consider a Dana 44 with power lock. I’ve ran one in my 64 valiant,Blown 340 4spd narrowed to 48” for a long time with 0 issue. With the springs moved inboard,I get 11.00x15x28 in the stock wheel house!Like the others said,pick a wheel tire combo,build the housing to fit.

-
Back