rear- end ID

-

Dave NEO

Reaction score
got a chance to crawl around under this '68 barracuda that's had a 383 and 4 spd put in - Number on diff. case is 2881489 which I've read are '69 and up. sound correct? Also had a small tag-like piece under that with what looked like 465710A . Is that telling me anything? Not 100% yet if this sure-grip. I found 2 bolts on top of housing that are not torqued down - probably sounds ridiculous but is there any reason they should not be? appreciate any comments. thanks

101_3141.JPG

101_3140.JPG

The two bolts on top are probably for a pinion snubber. Only way to check for suregrip is jack the axle up and spin a tire. Both spin same direction, suregrip. One spins opposite direction, open.

yes, exactly, thanks. Found a diagram and those appear to hold optional bracket or snubber. I can tighten them down to keep them around. It was a brief wtf moment, for me anyway!
Supposedly it's 3.23 with posi. Still getting broken in so not going lay any strips..

thanks for response - jacked up rear and they spin same direction so they should spin the same direction when I wake my neighbors up.. When I tighten those bolts down I'll add some washers as spacers if it looks like they go too far into the housing though not likely I suppose..

-
Back