Rear End Length for 4-Link & 315/60/15's

-

Kevindc

Reaction score
Working on the details for the rear suspension on my Dart sport and need some advice on rear end length. Right now my plan is to go with mini tubs, Reilly's Street-Lynx 4-link suspension and a Dana 60 rear end with 315/60/15 tires. My question is will keeping the stock rear end length of 52.25" be okay or would it be better to shorten the Dana 60?

Thanks all!

Shorten the Dana. You will need the wheel backspace measurement and the tire overall sidewall width and the drum/disc flange thickness, first, to figure out your axle flange to axle flange measurement.

52.25" width from where to where, i.e., backing plate to backing plate, outside of axle flang to outside of axle flange, etc...?

I had just seen that dimension listed somewhere as the a-body length and have not measured the existing 7-1/4 axle yet. It seems that if your going to make up a custom rear end you could make the wheel back space anything you want. If that's the case what would determine a back space you could or should use?

I guess what I'm really asking is this. If I went to Strange or Moser and ordered a complete bolt in rear end, checked the A-body Mopar box on the order sheet and then used whatever backspace to fit the tire/wheel combo would this be good? Or is there a better way to go about it?

Do as 69Mope suggested.

Get the wheel/tire combo you want, set them under the car and measure... no mistakes that way!

If you cut the housing to 52ish" flange to flange to flange, the wheels will have a lot of backspace.

I have a spreadsheet that will calculate real close, the wheel backspace to center in your tub for whatever overall axle length chosen.

Example. Dart Sport, 15x12 with a rear axle width totaling 57.5 will require 8.5" backspace wheels.

Move the backspace to 7.5", rear would be 55.5"

Evey inch of backspace you take out of the wheels, makes the rear 2" shorter.

Thanks Cracked.

Should have thought of going to the web site, been there a dozen times. Looks like it's time to order the wheels so I can get to the rear end.

You aren't too far from me. If you have any questions, let me know. If I have an answer, I'll help out.

The spreadsheet does great, except you may want the tire a little more to the outer wheel lip. Just depends on the look you are going for.

Use as little back space as possible. you don't want to have links and or bars to far inboard from the housing ends , you want those mounted as close to the housing ends as possible. That is ideal for suspension control and housing deflection.

-
Back