rear end lube plug....huh?

-

polkat

Reaction score
Decided today to check the lube level in my 7-1/4" rear end, but the plug in the cover has a rather large 12 point hole of some kind in it. Never seen this before. All others I've seen have a square hole that you can put a 1/2" drive into. Is there a special tool for this, or will something else work?
Thanks!

I think you can take it out and put a regular bolt in it. Yes you need a special tool. It looks like an alen wrnch but more like a star with more point on it. Or I have used a bolt. Put the end of the bolt in. Put two nuts on the other end and jam them together it should take it out if it was not put in to tight.

i may be mistaken but you can still use a 1/2 drive breaker bar or ratchet in that plug i know i have its just an 8 point star drive so you can just use four of those points with the 1/2 drive breaker bar or ratchet i reccomend a breaker bar if you have it good luck Justin

Sorry I just figured out what he is talking about. I thought you were talking about a torqus bolt.

Thanks guys! It's got 12 points, but I'll give the bolt idea a try.

Thanks guys! It's got 12 points, but I'll give the bolt idea a try.

im sorry your right it is 12 points but it still takes the 1/2 drive setup there may be a special tool for it but the 1/2 drive works great it may be 12 point to make sure you can get the ratchet into it at any angle you just have use 4 points of that bolt and youll disregard the other 8 good luck Justin

-
Back