Rear end noise

-

121gigawatts

Reaction score
Hello again everyone,
69 dart gts, 8.75 rear end. I’m not sure how to explain but I have a like grinding noise coming from the rear. You don’t hear it until you get up to 10+mph. I have zero idea where to begin and dont want to start taking things apart blindly. To me, the noise is coming from the area at the end of the drive shaft. I have video running it on jack stands and you can hear the noise after I shut the car off, I’ll try to link those videos. Any direction would be appreciated thanks guys.

You should be able to take the driveshaft off and turn the front yoke by hand. You should be able to feel there if the front bearing is going out.

Try shaking it around too to see if the yoke moves at the housing.

Open Differential or Sure-Grip ?

Open Diff the center pin wears out and creates a clunk when going in and out of gear. Also they are known for the 2 spider gears in the diff to lose teeth and that can cause grinding.

Rig up some type of stethoscope with a wood dowel rod or long 3/8" extention and see if you can determine which area the main noise is coming from when somebody is turning the yoke for you.

Check your gear lube level too, hope there is enough in there.

With all that caked on road grime on the center section, have you checked your fluid level?

could also be an axle bearing.

-
Back