rear end question (car not me)

-

1970-dart

Reaction score
i have the chance to buy complete rear end out of a 2004 trail edition Cherokee with a dana 44 with 3.73 gears and posi and disc brakes.

im waiting on info on the width and gonna measure mine also in the mean time

the car is a 70 swinger that had a very small rear end ( maybe 7 1/4 ??) and now has a rear o swapped out of a 74 factory v-8 its not a 8 3/4 so maybe 8 1/4 ??

going out to look now at it for more info and measurements

thanks in advance for info on anybody that might have done this swap. i don't wanna mess with axle length and what not and will just buy a sure grip with gears for current rear if its to much work.

he says the jeep rear end is 57 inches from backing plate to backing plate and mine measures only 48 that's a foot difference which don't seem possible but that's what it is.

Look for the a 96 or older jeep grand Cherokee. This will have the same spline count as your 8.25 year. You can hear the better gears (ratio wise), sure grip unit and rear disc brakes off the car. It will all bolt right into you a body 8.25 rear. Just make sure your a body rear has 2.94(2.91s?) or better otherwise you'll need to preform some extra work on your rear end or find one that has the 2.94 or better rear.

Look for the a 96 or older jeep grand Cherokee. This will have the same spline count as your 8.25 year. You can hear the better gears (ratio wise), sure grip unit and rear disc brakes off the car. It will all bolt right into you a body 8.25 rear. Just make sure your a body rear has 2.94(2.91s?) or better otherwise you'll need to preform some extra work on your rear end or find one that has the 2.94 or better rear.

ok cool thanks ill look around. most of the ones i find even for parts are 200-400$ so ill keep looking but also keep an eye out for a sure grip with gears already on it.

thanks

-
Back