Rear End Question

-
Reaction score
I removed the axles from my rear end of the '74 Duster last night, so I can replace the wheel bearings. It is a 7.25 with 10" drums with the SBP. I was surprised when I went to remove the axle flange nuts, it was a 5 bolt pattern, and everything I had read I thought said that the 7.25 had a 4 bolt pattern. I have also seen that the 10" brake drums should have been the BBP not the small after '73. Is this rear end from a different year?

The car has front disc brakes with the BBP and the rears were SBP.

I would guess that it is a small pattern-drums all around car (slant six?) that has had a later model disc swap on the front.
Factory disc cars had big pattern, drum cars had sbp.
No 8 1/4 sbp from mopar.

I am almost certain it is a 7.25. I can get some pictures to post at lunch. It is a 9 bolt cover that is more offset than nearly round and 2.5" axle tube. If I remember correctly the 8.25 has a 10 bolt pattern and 3" tubes

I am almost certain it is a 7.25. I can get some pictures to post at lunch. It is a 9 bolt cover that is more offset than nearly round and 2.5" axle tube. If I remember correctly the 8.25 has a 10 bolt pattern and 3" tubes
I think you missed my edit. If it's small pattern, it ain't an 8 1/4.

I had made that post about the same time as you sent yours. I will have to check my fender tag again to make sure, but I am pretty sure it came with the front discs. It was a pain to decode because it had been painted over multiple times and was rusted out on the underside.

Have you actually measured the pattern on the axle?

FWIW, my 74 Dart Sport came with factory disc and a BBP 7 1/4.

1669822705863.png

As I understand it.....(for early-mid 70s a-bodies)
Disc cars got 5 on 4 1/2
/6 Drum cars got 5 on 4
8 1/4s were all 4 1/2
When front disc's became mandatory, small pattern was gone.

So apparently I dreamed measuring the 5x 4" BP when I bought the car last year. I just measured it again and it is the BBP. I've attached pictures of the rear end.

20221130_123529.jpg

20221130_123513.jpg

Yep, 7 1/4 BBP is what it should be.

Now on a different note, one of these days you will notice the front wheels stick out further than the rear when looking from the rear forward, lol. Many moons ago I never noticed, or if I did I didn't remember it. Fixed that though when I dropped a B body rear in with different gears.

I don't think I will have much of an issue with that until I change rims and tires. The PO has 15x10 rims with 295/50/r15s on the back and 15x6 with 195/60r15s on the front. The rears pretty much take up the entire wheel well.

It also makes me sick seeing that they screwed the right rear tire to the $400 Weld Racing rim with self tappers, but only the right rear. They also spray painted the chrome rims matte black.

Self tappers are typical for rim screws, cause the tires aren't threaded, lol. The paint can be stripped from the chrome fairly easily. I've done it, after the guys that stole my car painted my chrome rims, to disguise it.

I haven't worked on the rims yet. I am hoping he just sprayed them like he did the rest of the car and didn't scuff up the rims first.

I understand the need for using self tappers, but it still made me sick seeing them put through that expensive of rims. It also set off my OCD by only doing it on one rear tire lol.

I would like to see at some point what type of power she is making when she is finished, but I am assuming it isn't much with what looks like a stock 318. I couldn't even get the tires to break loose before I started tearing her down for restoration.

I have four pairs of centerlines with rim screws, and I didn't do any of them, lol. It seems like the bigger the rim, the more power, the more the likelihood of rim screws and the larger the quantity.
I don't understand why on one wheel only. If it needed them on one wheel, it probably needed them on both.
I'm curious, on the inside of the wheel too, or just on the outside?

-
Back