Rear end suggestions

-

capac

Reaction score
I have a 64 valiant convertible that will be getting a 500ish HP small block. This is a street car.

What would you guys recommend for rear end? I was pretty set on the 8 3/4 for a long time. 741 case seems to be the weakest one, but are any of these fine? I'm also reading about people converting the Ford 8.8. Dana is probably an option too. I know how much money can be dropped in the rear end and I'm just trying to avoid as many mistakes as possible... :poke:

Thanks!

Depends on your budget? I have lots in to mine. But I put rear disk brakes on it.

20160723_223338.jpg

Depends on your budget? I have lots in to mine. But I put rear disk brakes on it.

View attachment 1715070031

That looks purdy :D

I wasn't planning on rear discs, but I'm not throwing it out yet either. I was hoping to find something that I could install for $1k or so. Even if it was open or not quite the gears that I wanted. Then I would configure it exactly how I want it when I can.

You can't beat a Currie 9". By the time you piece together a 8.8" or 8 3/4" you can pick up the phone and have a unit at your door . Just remember to order it with 31 splines . Done, done and done .

You responded to 489 chunk for sale
I'm working on 65 dart project.
I'm moving leafspring to frame rail
To enable bigger tire under car.
Something to think about. If you want a wider tire in back.these older a body's don't have much room under rear.
Just thought I'd mention.
ThanksDave

I ran a 8-3/4" with 3.91 gears in a 538 H P, 68, Dart. - I beat on it hard, with slicks, on the street, and had no problems. -- Maybe 72Dart6pack will sell You His. -- It's neat.

-
Back