Rear end swap- Anybody know trucks?

-

Moparmarcus

Reaction score
I found an 82 Dodge 1/2 ton rear end - 8 3/4", 489 case, 3.23 gears for sale through my local mopar club.

The spring perch dimension on my 73 scamp should be 43". I had the guy measure his (he's about 2 hours away from me) and he came up with 43 1/4". I pressed him for accuracy and he was pretty certain that was an accurate measurement.

Does this make sense? If it's an accurate measurement, would an 1/8" (per side) difference matter? Does anybody out there know the pickup specs? I can't find any online.

Thanks

Since Chrysler didn't put an 8.75" rear end in anything after 1974, it's hard to know what you're really looking at. I've swapped 8.75" axles into newer trucks, in fact I swapped one from a 74 Power Wagon into an 88 Ramcharger. The axle was a straight-up swap. I don't know the perch width, though. The housing should be about 7" longer, over-all.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

The spring perch is about right. The frame rails for the car and the truck are the same difference apart, but its the measurement from backing plate to backing plate that is the BIG difference. The truck axel will stick out from under the wheel lip of the car.

Thanks guys, that's why I'm here. He had it advertised as an 8 3/4", I didn't realize that 74 was the last year.

Going by the info it's most likely an 8.75, if it's on top of the leafs it could be a B body rear also, under the leafs it's a pickup rear.

I've found 8.75's in stranger places - found one under a '90 B van hightop conversion - the van was unmolested otherwise but had a 742 center and 5x5.5" axles.

-
Back