Rear end Swap

-

moparmarkk

Reaction score
Hi has anybody out there put a 83/4 from a 65-66 b body under a swinger body? Just wondering how it fits , thanks Mark

Dana 67Dart, Ihave seen a few put in dusters and dart sports, never seen one in a swinger body, just wondering if it will be too wide

Dana 67Dart, Ihave seen a few put in dusters and dart sports, never seen one in a swinger body, just wondering if it will be too wide

Here is an old article from Hot Rod, they put one in a Dart. You will need the proper backspace wheels.

Hi has anybody out there put a 83/4 from a 65-66 b body under a swinger body? Just wondering how it fits , thanks Mark
65/66 are two different types of rear end. One has the old tapered axle (65) and the 66 has the more modern one piece flange type axles.

I must have late 65 rear ends,both have modern flange ,thanks for all the help so far everybody,

I think 65 is the first year for the non swage axles.

I put a 66 B body 8 3/4 in a 73 Duster and it all but dropped right in.

It is a little wider and it puts the rear wheels in the same track as the front wheels on a disk brake car.

Those three years (65-67) are THE years to put in an A body, though.

I think 65 is the first year for the non swage axles.

I put a 66 B body 8 3/4 in a 73 Duster and it all but dropped right in.

It is a little wider and it puts the rear wheels in the same track as the front wheels on a disk brake car.

Those three years (65-67) are THE years to put in an A body, though.
What b body cars where from 65-67 that would work?

Coronet
Charger
Belvedere
Satellite

The b-body has 1" more space between the springs, than an A-body. Proper solution is to move the spring pads, but many just spread the springs on the A-body.
65 (first year for non-tapered axle, ) /67, is a bit wider than an a-body 7 1/4 or 8 3/4, but that can be fixed pretty easily by buying wheels with more backspace.
Another plus, the b-body has the big Mopar bolt pattern.

On a "29" body (Duster, Demon, Dart Sport) and 67-69 Barracuda, no wheel issues- run any wheel you want.

I had 75 Charger 15x6.5 rally wheels on the back of my Duster with that B body axle.

It looked like it should have left the factory that way.

Puts the rear track in line with the front disk brake track width.

The article also says the widths are the same through 1970. Axle Flange to flange width on a 68-70 is wider than the 66-67 axle. Spring pads are the same width apart.

Only want to advise you to measure the wheel you want to use since the article doesn’t say what axle they actually used.

I’m using a 67 b body 8 3/4 in a 72 duster. Duster wheel wells are larger but it fits better than the a body unit. I also have the 68-70 axle in my 71 and it needs the negative offset wheels.

-
Back