Rear End "Tick"

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Ever since installing my used 8.75 rear, I've been driving it periodically to get the suspension to settle in a little so I could adjust my ride height. THe center section looked good to me and the brakes were rebuilt. Problem is, when driving down the road I hear a ticking noise that increases with speed. NOt a real loud noise but noticeable. I will tell you that the splash shield behind the yoke on the center section is loose. For now thats what I figure it is. Any other ideas? Its supposed to be 67 degrees tomorrow and I would like to figure it out. THanks

I'll check it. It looked to be in great shape. There was only 52000 miles on it behind a /6. I greased it well before I put it back on too. I guess I'll see if there is any slop in it anywhere

Does the ticking pick up as the speed of the car picks up? Progressively picking up with the revoluton of the tires? It doesn't change pace as the tranny shifts from one gear to another? Here's what i found on mine. Different widths of brakes take different length of hold down springs. Mine were too long and were rubbing the drum on the rear. I went to the shorter pin and problem solved. May not be it but worth checking and it maybe something else in the drums/brake system.

I put it up on some jack stands this weekend and found that the tick only happens when there is weight on the tires. I put it in low and listened to each wheel as it turned forward and reverse and everything was dead quiet on both sides. The only thing I can come up with is a bad pinion bearing. Yes, it does increase with wheel speed, trans has no impact. The brakes came off a dodge truck as an assembly and I dont think I have any clearance issues there. Thanks for the input

with the load OFF the wheels, it sounds like an axle bearing to me. pinion bearings make a different noise.

-
Back