rear end to gas tank clearance

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
So, what is an exceptable rear end to gas tank clearance? I bought MP oval track leaf springs which have a 20.5" front segment.(stock front segment is 20") This pushed the rear back 1/2" I'm now extremely close to hitting the tank. I think I'm going to need to take a block of wood and massage the tank a little.

As long as it clears it clears. If not loosen your gas straps and see if you tank can be pushed back a smidge more. Then retighten the straps and see how it fits.

Just shoved the rear in the car this afternoon. I have 1/4" clearance with the car sitting on the springs. Not sure if it will get tighter when the suspension compresses over bumps or not.

The AFCO springs I run have a 20.5” from section, never had an issue with rear axle to fuel tank clearance even with the zero arch springs and lowering I got from going to spring sliders.

It's not uncommon to have to fold the tank flange over for extra clearance, especially for the shocks. As said, make sure the tank is as far back as you can make it go, then start tapping the flange down.

If you fold it- see if you can fold it down rather than up. Here in New England the folding up method creates a place for crap to build up and sit and rot. Possibly the entire rust belt is the same.

-
Back