rear end Width

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
I am looking for the width of a 1973 A-body rear end.
I need perch to perch and drum to drum. I have a 65 8 3/4 and have been told that it should bolt right in.

Thanks for any help.

Here is the chart. it dosn't do anything newer that 76.

rearaxledims.jpg

That chart is all screwed up and confusing. The measurements it gives that they call flange to flange I believe are actually backing plate to backing plate flange not axle flange to axle flange and even then it's not right. An A-body rear is approx. 52-1/2'' backing plate flange to backing plate flange.

Nuke that POS chart from your memory for A and B body 8.75 widths. I wish I could delete it from every site on the web.

52 5/8 flange to flange, Perches 43" on centers for an A.

Here is a better source that is accurate.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

The 65 b rear is only slightly wider ~1.25" per side and the perches are 44" on center

Sweet, Thanks guys. That may be the deciding factor on whether or not I buy this Duster I found. Its a 74 with a 318 3spd but comes with a 4spd. For some reason it has a 7 1/4 small bolt rear and big bold disks up front. I have a 65 coronet wagon that I am not sure what to do with. So the rear may end up going under a duster. Anyone need some 65 wagon Parts?

Okay so I have a 1973 Duster that had a 7 1/4 rear end that measured 51.4 inches outside flange to outside flange. I found an A body 8 3/4 housing on craigslist then found an A body 8 3/4 3.55 posi center section and A-body 8 3/4 axles. I bought them both and put them together. (this was before I had a tape to measure the housing and took the guys word, stupid me I know) anyways tonight I measured the A body housing I bought and put together. turns out it is 53 1/2 in outside flange to outside flange or 53 1/4 center to center. which from that chart says it's a B-body early 60's rear end. Im beside myself right now. I measured the axles and I get roughly 27 and 7/8 or close enough to 27 and 11/16.

Just for grins and giggles i slid in the axle (with green bearings and backing plates) with no brake backing plates and right when the axle stud plate met the top of the studs i turned the rear end and it was grabbing. It was suspended in there from about 1 in out before i hit the bolt tops but I don't think I grabbed teeth? I dont know much about this rear end stuff.

SO is it expensive to have my housing cut down and rewelded? or should I buy new axles and bearings and have to long a rear end? any insight would greatly help.

Does anyone know if a 73 charger rear end will fit under a 70 duster without modifications by chance

LOL. I thought this was going to be another thread with pictures of girls with big wide butts.

-
Back