Rear Fender Bolt Woes

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Help I have one bolt completely rounded and no room to get to it from either side. I have tried vice grips and heat with torque on the bolt itself. I have tried smaller sockets none fit well enough. I have tried to cut it but I can not get a good angle to get to it. I am going to show the outside and inside bolts.

Anybody have any ideas as to a way to get it off?

Outside (nut)
IMG_20120704_153526.jpg

Inside (bolt head)
IMG_20120704_153539.jpg

1/2 drill bit through the top of it with a pair of vice grips on the other side to keep it from spinning. or a chisel and a BFH

Cut off wheel won't work it is set about an inch into the body and the fender covers almost the entire visible area.

I may try the drill bit or cold chisel method though. What if I drill several holes along one side the finish the cutting with a cold chisel? Separate the nut?

use a Dremel cut off wheel and cut the bolt head off. It looks like you will have room.

with as rusty as that bolt looks, i bet 2 or 3 dead blows with a chisel and a BFH will snap it right off

get a nut splitter...

Yup, always good to have one in the arsenal.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Cracker-Splitter-Buster-C-FRAME/dp/B000J47UL4"]Amazon.com: Professional Nut Cracker / Splitter/ Buster C-FRAME: Home Improvement[/ame]

use a Dremel cut off wheel and cut the bolt head off. It looks like you will have room.

I didn't get the best picture but it is boxed in I can't even get my 3/8 ratchet and deep well socket on the bolt head. It is also set fairly deep into the body and very hard to get grip on.

I have a nut splitter but have never had any success with one. I tried it a bunch.

I am going to try and cold chisel.

I didn't get the best picture but it is boxed in I can't even get my 3/8 ratchet and deep well socket on the bolt head. It is also set fairly deep into the body and very hard to get grip on.

I have a nut splitter but have never had any success with one. I tried it a bunch.

I am going to try and cold chisel.

then use the torch... just cut it off...

Sawzall with sharp blade and a large pair of vice grips, or die grinder with long bur.

Well I ended up heating as much as I could and wacking it with a hammer. Bent it just enough to get the cut off wheel in and then cut the top half of the bolt off and spun the nut off to pop the bolt. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

-
Back