Rear fiberglass bumper question

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
I have a fg bumper for the rear of my '72 Duster. This will be a driver, I need to attach the license plate and a light for the tag also. The original chrome bumper has a large "hole" in the center where the tag goes, the fg bumper does not. Be interested in seeing what you might have done.
Thanks,
C

You need to cut the holes for the LP in to the FG bumper. Should be able to use the mounting hardware off of your stock bumper on the FG one.

Thanks for the reply. The original has a lot of open space in the center, I am a little concerned that if I cut the same amount of material out of the fg bumper it would be pretty weak in the center.
FWIW, at the local Advance Auto tonight I located a cheap license plate light that looks like it could mount up there. It was less than $4 bucks so I picked it up. Haven't matched it up to the bumper yet.
Hey folks, pics here would be excellent!
Thanks,
C

Bump, surely there are some folks on here that have a fiberglass bumper on the daily driver, or any driver for that matter...
C

Thanks for the reply. The original has a lot of open space in the center, I am a little concerned that if I cut the same amount of material out of the fg bumper it would be pretty weak in the center.
FWIW, at the local Advance Auto tonight I located a cheap license plate light that looks like it could mount up there. It was less than $4 bucks so I picked it up. Haven't matched it up to the bumper yet.
Hey folks, pics here would be excellent!
Thanks,
C

I stock one should work just fine. But any thing will work. All you need is a light that shines on the plate. I have put a LP light off of a Ford truck on to a Jeep before when I switched the LP from the corner to the bumper.

I used the "new" led LP bolt lights. I also made a bracket for the plate from an aluminum angle iron drilled it full of lightening holes and put two square holes in it to accept the LP nylon screw holders. Painted it black and bolted it to the bottom of the FG bumper. Weighs next to nothing and is invisible as the bottom of the LP covers it up. 75 Sport

Cool, some response! Never heard of LED bolts, where did you find them? I like the idea of the aluminum angle iron too. Did you cut out any of the bumper?
Thanks,
C

I ordered mine from Amazon.com. Here's a pic. No I didn't cut any bumper fb. 75Sport

And now the picture. led plate bolts.jpg

led plate bolts.jpg

Quick question are glass bumpers legal on the street,when put on cars that came with steel bumpers??..

I sure hope so!
It may be different in different states. Since we have no inspections in GA (except for emissions in some locations); anything goes...
C

-
Back