rear frame replacement

-

chrisII

Reaction score
it looks like im picking up my second duster this week. this one is a 73 with the leaning tower of power, and an auto. body looks pretty good other than the quarters being solid bondo. the left spring is pushing through the floor, and the right is weak and starting to bend. frame rails on both sides are junk, but only like the back foot. the trunk pan looks good except the spot thats pushing up from the spring. my 74 has had an area about a foot long replaced on one side with a piece of 2x3 tube. Im wondering if anyone here has done something like this? Ive done aot of chassis welding, was a cert welder for years, so im capable of doing the job just wonder if anyone has any tips to save hassles.

NOBODY has anthing to add? i cant believe that nobody here has made there own frame replacement

chrisII said:
NOBODY has anthing to add? i cant believe that nobody here has made there own frame replacement

Nothing to add? .But when you do finish the job I could use some tips as I plan on doing the same thing to a 1971 Demon.

Kenny B

Auto Rust Technicians has frame rail caps for A-body Mopars. They have everything you need to fix all sub frame areas. Ask for Dave and tell him MassMopar sent ya. Very good people to do business with.

Auto Rust Technicians

Tadjou

Chris, I'm in the process of replacing a section of frame rail on the left front of my 66. The bottom of the rail and a small portion of each side rail was badly rusted near the bottom. I cut out all the rust, well back into the good metal area, then made up cardboard templates of both sides and the bottom piece, and cut new sections from 14 ga. metal, and welded them back into the frame rails. The replacement metal is a bit thicker than the original frame rail material, so there shouldn't be any strength issues with the new section. I have a couple of other rail sections that will also receive the same treatment.

I'm not sure how you're set up to do repairs like this, but I have my Vart on a rotisserie so it's really easy for me to get at both the inside and outside seams with the MIG. I have a few pics at home of the job, so if you'd like, I can probably post a couple photos for you tomorrow. Good luck.

I did it on my 75 Duster...Removed the trunk floor, and cut the the frame rails off just behind the rear wheels, removed rear crossmember too
Fabbed the rails by welding 2 bent sections together to make a channel

the damage seemed to be limited to the rear foot or 18 inches , and the pan seems pretty good yet.I was planning to cut the frame rails off of the top lip, or just below with a cutoff wheel. then install the 2x3 tube to replace the origional. this is how the right side of my 74 was done and it looks nice. I didnt realise the frame had ben repaired till i had the car a couple months and was replaceing the gas tank.

after talking with the current owner again yesterday i find that the car neads all new lines and other work so I may take a pass on it. its a cool car and mileage would be good but i dont want another major project.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/1966dartwagon/undercoat2.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/1966dartwagon/rust2.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa268/1966dartwagon/framepatch2.jpg

I would just post the pics but they are HUGH so i put out links
my dad helped me out alot on that, i wasnt sure really what to do, but he does frame work for a living so that helps ALOT :thumbup: sure its not as bad as yours is but it just gives you an idea many have frame rot and do fix it, good luck

im not sure if i would just patch it cause if you put lots of torque back there you might twist it. thats part of the reason i got rid of my duster. Probobly better off replacing the whole rear frame unit.

Hello,
On my 70 dart I replaced the last two feet of my subframe. I removed the trunk floor (bracing quarters first) Bent up new frame rails, Rear cross, and spring mounts. I made the frame rails slightly bigger to fit over the old rails. Cut the old rails off and overlapped the two by around eight inches. Plug welded the two together as well as at the overlap.

-
Back