rear housing

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I want to narrow a rear end housing for my 66 dart which im going to be using a 489 center section. What will be the least expensive housing I can find? Its the one thing I wish I had done in the first place instead of using an A body rear. Believe it or not it keeps me up at night thinking I should have done that in the first place. Maybe i should narrow the A body housing since I already cut and moved the spring perches in?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Rod

I want to narrow a rear end housing for my 66 dart which im going to be using a 489 center section. What will be the least expensive housing I can find? Its the one thing I wish I had done in the first place instead of using an A body rear. Believe it or not it keeps me up at night thinking I should have done that in the first place. Maybe i should narrow the A body housing since I already cut and moved the spring perches in?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Rod
Cheapest option is to use what you have. 2nd cheapest option would be to source a C body or truck 8.75 and cut it down.

Cheapest option is to use what you have. 2nd cheapest option would be to source a C body or truck 8.75 and cut it down.
disagree
has got a stock A body 8 3/4 under there now
he can sell that for twice what it costs to buy a C body housing, cut it down, new axles and gear set of choice

I'd like to know the cost of having an 8.75 cut down PLUS new axles PLUS all the hardware (bearings, seals etc) PLUS paint or powdercoat PLUS possible brake replacement or re-drilling.

I'd be looking at a dana my friend. I went as narrow as you can go with a relocated spring. I run a 3.5" backspacing.

16378_10204960777488574_6317630999826702274_n.jpg

dana.jpg

10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg

I'd like to know the cost of having an 8.75 cut down PLUS new axles PLUS all the hardware (bearings, seals etc) PLUS paint or powdercoat PLUS possible brake replacement or re-drilling.

I'd be looking at a dana my friend. I went as narrow as you can go with a relocated spring. I run a 3.5" backspacing.

id be OK with him getting a dana as well
my main point was simply that building what he has may not be the most cost effective way of getting there
its kinda like the question "what is cheaper, rebuilding my 340 or buying a 360 and building that"
i would tell him the same, sell what you have to offset the cost of what you want

Here's what I have now. My wheels are 15x10 with 295/50R15 with 6.5 backspace.
And my slicks 28/10-15 are on 15x8 with 4.5 backspace. They fit under wheel well (street tires) with about 2.5" of clearance on inside and just about 3/4" on outside. More clearance with slicks on. I'm not thinking of spending lots of money here so Dana is out. If I can find a cheap ($50-100) truck or C body housing I would go that route, if not I could cut my A housing. My axles are moser which are new and have 4" of spline. When I talked to them earlier today they said I could cut 1.5" to 2" and probably still be good. Just keep them cool during the cutting. I didn't want to cut the A housing but I might because once I cut axles I would need another set for that housing anyway.
Also I have (2). 489 center sections. One has a 3:91 and the other has 4:56. That's another reason I didn't want to go with Dana.
Rod

Here's what I have now. My wheels are 15x10 with 295/50R15 with 6.5 backspace.
And my slicks 28/10-15 are on 15x8 with 4.5 backspace. They fit under wheel well (street tires) with about 2.5" of clearance on inside and just about 3/4" on outside. More clearance with slicks on. I'm not thinking of spending lots of money here so Dana is out. If I can find a cheap ($50-100) truck or C body housing I would go that route, if not I could cut my A housing. My axles are moser which are new and have 4" of spline. When I talked to them earlier today they said I could cut 1.5" to 2" and probably still be good. Just keep them cool during the cutting. I didn't want to cut the A housing but I might because once I cut axles I would need another set for that housing anyway.
Also I have (2). 489 center sections. One has a 3:91 and the other has 4:56. That's another reason I didn't want to go with Dana.
Rod
theres a guy on moparts selling c body housings with axles for 95 bucks

I just narrowed a Dana 60, gonna do my buddy’s Dana also. I have the tools and alignment jig for both the Dana and 8 3/4. If I was doing this as a business, you’d be looking at 2-300. Around here that’s what it would cost.

Will you be upgrading to 11 x 2.5" brakes?
Ive got E body housing, axles, 11" back plates.
some surface rust but would sell pretty cheap, could ship Fastenal reasonably.

PM for pics if interested

Dave

I have to look but I'm pretty sure I already upgraded to the 11x2.5 brakes. I'm just looking for a housing and plan on cutting my axles I already have.
I'm sure shipping would make yours to expensive but shoot me a price to 17356.
Thanks rod

I have to look but I'm pretty sure I already upgraded to the 11x2.5 brakes. I'm just looking for a housing and plan on cutting my axles I already have.
I'm sure shipping would make yours to expensive but shoot me a price to 17356.
Thanks rod
Ok,get back shortly.

Thanks , Dave

You can also find a Dana in the junk yard on trucks, I did for my 72, new tubes, ends and sourced a locker for it but it came with a posi and 4.10 gears. Either way both can be had cheaper and modify them.

Dave, im going to pass as the shipping makes it more costly then I am looking for. But again thanks for the offer.
Matts440 and others that have suggested a dana, I would love to go to a dana, however as I stated in an earlier post i already have 2 sets of gears already set up in separate center sections so I can change them when going racing or running on the street. With a dana I am limited to one set of gears or I would have to do setups all the time.
Heres a question, should I even concern myself with not narrowing an "A" body rear housing because they are so hard to find? After all should I ever want to go back to standard width I could narrrow a C body housing then.
Your thoughts
Rod

I say keep what you have, search locally for setup to cut down to your choice. You will always have an alternate near stock if and when you sell the car.

What are the goals for the car? What are the engine specs? You've already got 2 third members and the housing? I'd say use what you've got, but without knowing the details, no one can give an informed opinion.

I understand I just put that out there that a Dana can be had like a 8 3/4, I do like the ability to swap gears but just the center section. Use what you have of course. Keep an eye on the for sale thread and even over sites like for b bodies or for c bodies just register if your not already.

The whole gear swap thing. I used to feel that way too. The guy at Mosher said how often do you swap your gears. I thought about it and said once in 30 years. I went from 3.23's to 3.91's and never went back .

-
Back