Rear Main Seal

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
My Rear main seal has begun to leak oil in my 340 not leaking much but a nusiance. I put a quart of Bars leak rear main seal stop leak in and its still dripping oil. A lot of people told me they swear by this as it has worked for them. My question is how much of a job is it to replace this seal? I was told that all I have to do is to unbolt the tranny slide it back, without dropping it,(its an automatic) and the seal is right there.I was also told that I have to drop the pan, un bolt the rear main bearing cap and there is where the seal is. Just want to make sure before I begin to tackle this. Probably would be a lot easier doing it on a lift but have to do it old school

I really don't think you need to drop the trans unless you want some extra room. Yes you have to drop the pan and take the number 5 main cap off to do it. It's not that bad of a job and if you have a lift it's alot easier. good luck. Oh before I forget you will have to rip apart the steerign linkage and jack up the motor and sometimes loosen the headers to get the pan off.

Well I have some good news pertaining to my oil leak. It is not my rear main as I thought. I added a bottle of UV oil additive to my engine, let the car run for a while then crawled under my car with my black light and found out that the deep part of my oil pan right on the radius has a very slight pin hole. I could not believe my eyes when I saw this but am glad that this is where the leak is. Wonder why my pan started to leak there? There is no damage to the pan in this area. Being preserved with oil I would have never given it a thought. Now my question is would it be alright to get this small area braised then coat it with JB weld or would I be better of to get a new pan? I am leaning towards the latter. I also know that I have to drop the steering lingage enabling me to drop the pan but what about the timing cover? Will I have to loosen that up or does the front of the pan butt up to the bottom of the timing cover? I'll be doing this old school, on my back, so I'm just exploring all avenues before I decided to tear into it. Thanx

When I bought my Barracuda there was an area on the oil pan that had been brazed. Never gave me a problem. I didn't even know it was there until I rebuilt the engine & I just cleaned the pan & put it back on. No worries.

Ok now a poster on another Mopar forum turned me onto JB Waterweld, so I thinkg that this is the route that I am gonna go with and see what happens. Sure beats the heck out of dropping the oil pan and having it brazed when JB weld does basically the same thing.

Ok now a poster on another Mopar forum turned me onto JB Waterweld, so I thinkg that this is the route that I am gonna go with and see what happens. Sure beats the heck out of dropping the oil pan and having it brazed when JB weld does basically the same thing.

Hell Yeah it is. JB is good stuff as long as you use it wisely and dont get carried away. By the way, i think I still have some family in Meadville. I lived in Clarion for 19 years.

I was born in Clarion. Raised in Tionesta, New Castle, Elwood city.....I sure do miss the green grass and beautiful country in Tionesta. Sorry didn't mean to hijack the the thread.

Thats weird I lived in Tionesta for a couple years when I was young (Newmansville actually). Small freakin world!

My oil pan had a pin hole leak in it for some reason. What I did was drained the oil. Then I used a wire wheel on a drill and took all the paint off of that area of the oil pan. Then used fresh paper towls and Brake Parts Cleaner to wipe it off. Put the JB Weld on it and let it sit a few days. Then I sanded it a little bit (don't get too ambitious with the sanding) then I painted the area with engine paint. Filled it with oil and its been bone dry for years now. I picked up a nice used oil pan off ebay so if I ever take it off again I'll replace it then.

My oil pan had a pin hole leak in it for some reason. What I did was drained the oil. Then I used a wire wheel on a drill and took all the paint off of that area of the oil pan. Then used fresh paper towls and Brake Parts Cleaner to wipe it off. Put the JB Weld on it and let it sit a few days. Then I sanded it a little bit (don't get too ambitious with the sanding) then I painted the area with engine paint. Filled it with oil and its been bone dry for years now. I picked up a nice used oil pan off ebay so if I ever take it off again I'll replace it then.

Kewl, Definetly the route I'm going...:thumbup:

-
Back