rear mounted turbos?

-

440valiant

cuda
Reaction score
hey,

Just wondering if it would be possible to mount turbos in the rear of the car like the corvettes? If you were going for the "Sleeper look":read2:

I've seen it done, but don't remember where. It seems like the wastegate had to be set on "kill" to compensate for losses over the length of tubing... or maybe that was to minimize spool-up/lag. My memory isn't very good, but I believe it worked well.

It can be done, no one makes a kit for it though.
With the butt mount your going to loose quite a bit of efficiency with heat loss through the pipe before it gets to the turbo. Which means you will have to run a smaller turbo to compensate.

Yes it can be done... and there are kits for it... but the major issue you have it oil flow. Turbos need to drain via gravity, as the oil gets really frothy after spinning at 75,000rpms... there should be ZERO pressure leaving the turbo.

Turbo setups run down the line like that have a scavenging pump to suck out the oil. If that pump goes, so does the turbo.

Those setups just do not perform that well... laggy.

There is tonnes of space for a turbo in the engine bay. Personally I would do one large turbo rather than a twin, but it's your call.

What about hiding them in the upper rear of the front wheel wells? You may have to do some tricky sheet metal work but I bet it could be done pretty easy.
Look at the pic of the Dart in my sig. The space would be just above and maybe a little forward of the fender emblem.

-
Back