rear of oil pan on slant 6 225

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I have a slant 6 225 that I am putting back together. I applied the gaskets for mounting the oil pan to the block. Looking at the rear rubber seal that covers over the rear seal housing, I can't tell if this is th eway it is supposed to look when completed or not. is this right or did I put something on backwards?

Also, I see 2 separate specs for torquing down the oil pan bolts. one says to 100inch and another says 200inch. Which is correct?

I am using the rubber seals for the front and the rear of the pan and cork for the sides.

Attachments

• rearoilpan.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 214
  • reaoilpan2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 222
That is correct. The part of the gasket that you see is not sealing anything. The part that seals is inside what we are looking at.

The torque on these is not critical. I would think that 100 is a little low and 200 is a little high (that's like 8 to 16 foot-lbs). Personally I tighten them hand tight with a speeder handle (or a short 1/4-inch dr. ratchet) so that I don't overtighten them. I don't use a torque wrench.

The gaskets on the ends (like the one you are looking at) have a metal ring around the bolt hole to prevent overtightening. If the bolt is tight it is good to go.

-
Back