Rear oil leak

-

Cravin'sCuda

Reaction score
After trying to identify my leak I cannot. I figure its the oil pan mounting or the rear seal. Is it possible to pull the oil pan off in chassis? Can the rear seal also be changed, I really do not want to pull the engine. I was going to go for broke this next weekend. Has anyone done it in chassis with success.:sad8:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I've removed the oil pan and also replaced the rear main with the engine in on my 63 dart. It is a 360. You have to remove the centerlink to drop the pan. The rear main is exposed once the pan is gone. I believe you have to remove the rear main cap and then the upper half of the seal can be pushed out. You may have to loosen one or two bearing caps to relieve the tension on the upper half of the seal. Be careful putting the new one in because it's easy to cut the rubber as it's going in.

I've done it in my '69 while it was in the car and its been leak free for years. I had to remove the center link to get the pan out. I also removed the nuts on the motor mount, jacked up the engine, and then placed 1" thick wood between motor mounts and k-frame for extra clearance (people have told me thats not needed though). I did not have to loosen any other main cap bolts to get the upper seal out. It was dry and hard and came right out. I used Brake Parts Cleaner and clean paper towels to get ALL oil residue off main cap to block mating surfaces. Then use a thin film of gasket sealer on the main cap to block mating surfaces. If you don't put sealer there it will leak. And make sure you install main oil seal with lip facing in.

It would be best to drain the oil a day of so before you remove the pain. Otherwise there will be constant oil dripping on you while you are working on it. I dropped the oil pan and let it sit for a day until the dripping stopped. I also wiped down all gasket surfaces with Brake Parts Cleaner to make sure all was 100% oil free.

-
Back