Rear quarter body help needed

-
Even with a full frame vehicle the body adds rigidity against torsional twisting. The last glue job I fixed was a Suburban that had a roof put on at another shop for hail damage and it was leaking water. The front edge of the roof was partially separated under the urethane set windshield and I found a few places down the sides where an epoxy type seam sealer had cracked. I'm not really sold on the epoxy seam sealers either. They're fast to cure and you can paint over them in no time, but seem a bit brittle to me. I've had to re-do a few bedsides where I had done the job. When the stuff first came out everybody used the glue and then the comebacks start coming including ones that have been hit a second time after being glued together. The 4 tacks or plugs on the corners they recommend just isn't enough.

It's what's not in the video I posted that scares me most about they way they did it. Also in the directions Blu posted directly from 3M where you glue the leading edge of the quarter to the inner structure in the door jamb. The quarter helps support the striker along with a small reinforcement that sometimes comes with a new quarter. Yup, just glue it all together and it's good by the manufacture's directions. Glue is one of those things I get pretty adamant about like Blu with his repairs "What about f'in next guy?" Because the next guy might be on the way to Dairy Queen with his kids in the back seat when he gets nailed and the door becomes un-closed. A Pro-Spot machine is the only one I've used that can generate enough amps and clamping pressure to pull off the weld/bond method. The stuff sounds great on paper but it just doesn't really work like they claim, it's widely misused and really causes some serious safety concerns. I would bet that when you pulled those loose bedsides off there was plenty of corrosion in the seams already.
George H I like taking a box side off that the guy before glued on it comes off real easy. I know where he welded it and can take the glue apart in no time. and the rust where it was not clamped is there for sure.
When I weld on a new box side or 1/4 I never finish the weld spot so you can't find it because the next guy can figure out how to cut it.
I am retiring this year and not willing to stick my neck out there fixing the new cars or gluing the old cars together with lots of HP that the stock frame was not set up for. I remember the 1970 big block cudas when you added more HP the body would start to crack by the back 1/4 panel just below the 1/4 glass.
Just my 2 cents guys...

You know I didnt intend this thread to start arguments between members. My apology for asking the question.
Im going to mark this thread as unwatch so I don't have to read the fighting.
I do appreciate the advice i've gotten from all partys. At this time I dont know what Im going to do to solve my issue but I cant continue to read people arguing with each other because that hasnt helped me at all.
Thanks
Rod

The problem with this philosophy is that some areas will be inaccessible for a squeeze type resistance spot welder. Some alternate method (MIG, TIG) will have to be used. If duplicating the factory look is desired, some amount of "fakery" will be required.
Sometimes you have to. Finishing a plug weld would be no different then finishing a butt weld. If the weld is good and you don't grind down back into the base metal the strength of the repair is not the issue. I'm not understanding some of the logic presented. I could butt weld a section of taiwanese floor pan in, dress weld on both sides, make it invisible, and that's not hiding the repair, but if I put a full pan in and dress the welds on the inside it's a hack cover up. If I had to put a used inner fender in plug welded from the engine side I wouldn't just paint over the plug welds. It would need some finish work. At the end of the day it needs to resemble the side you didn't touch.

Last edited:
-
Back