rear seal replacement

-

DartGT360

Reaction score
I have a 1982 318 cid in my 1969 Dart. There is an oil leak from the back of the oil pan. I have checked the distributor base, valve covers and intake gasket. I can see a stream of oil running down the cover plate. Does the motor have to be removed to replace a rear crank seal? Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks

Cover plate? The trans inspection cover? I's spray the whole back of the engine with carb cleaner and wipe it clean and see if that is still where it coming from. If it is the seal you will have to remove the trans and converter and if I remember right it is a 2 piece seal so 1 part of it is on top of the crank and 1 below.

No you do not have to remove the engine to replace the rear main seal. It can be replaced in the car, although it is more difficult to do. When it comes to sealing the rear of the oil pan, I have to remove the engine to get it sealed properly (it's a rear sump pan that leaves no room between the pan and bellhousing). I recently had an issue with the standard Fel-Pro single lip seal. 3 seals later I used the Mancini double lip seal and this cured the seeping rear main. I will never use the Fel-Pro again. But you definitely need to find the source first. Use an oil dye and blacklight to find them easily. If it's leaking from a cam plug or something like that, then you'll have to remove the trans or remove the engine to even see it. But the dye and blacklight are very useful tools to find them pesky leaks.

No you do not have to remove the engine to replace the rear main seal. It can be replaced in the car, although it is more difficult to do. When it comes to sealing the rear of the oil pan, I have to remove the engine to get it sealed properly (it's a rear sump pan that leaves no room between the pan and bellhousing). I recently had an issue with the standard Fel-Pro single lip seal. 3 seals later I used the Mancini double lip seal and this cured the seeping rear main. I will never use the Fel-Pro again. But you definitely need to find the source first. Use an oil dye and blacklight to find them easily. If it's leaking from a cam plug or something like that, then you'll have to remove the trans or remove the engine to even see it. But the dye and blacklight are very useful tools to find them pesky leaks.
Thank you for the help.

Cover plate? The trans inspection cover? I's spray the whole back of the engine with carb cleaner and wipe it clean and see if that is still where it coming from. If it is the seal you will have to remove the trans and converter and if I remember right it is a 2 piece seal so 1 part of it is on top of the crank and 1 below.
Yes inspection cover is where it is running down. Thanks for the help.

-
Back