REAR Seatbelt Questions

-

khughesprime

Reaction score
I think I've read all the posts that relate to modern seatbelts but not to the rear. I have 3 children and I would like to mount two 3-point harness seatbelts in the rear. Anyone done this? I have a 1974 Dart swinger. What would be needed to be done? Thanks

A friend of mine did put 3 point seatbelts in his Duster. He used Wesco seatbelts, but I know in the back he only used 2. He bought mounting hardware from them, and did have to drill some holes and had to get longer boilts for the back as it cracked the plastic around the rear side glass the first try. This was after he had 2 perfect peices died to match his interior!

i am into this as well...

still not secure in the lap belts in the back...especially in car seats!
speaking of....does anyone know the laws about back seating the kiddos...
the car seats say not to use 'em with laps only, yet supposedly they are the "safest" in the back seat....

thinking of maybe bolting two racing style harnesses in the back...running thru the trunk....to bolt in the back....i dunno, just thinking in type...but do want to take the kids out for a ride once in a while...as is put him in the passenger seat with the 3 pt. and hope i don't get pulled over for him in the front...

well got a gas tank issue to deal with before that....woohoo!!!

blind.

What about scrounging the yards for the 3 pointers out of a newer car, the ones that come out of the rear package tray and come over the back of the seat? Im sure someone could come up with a simple and SAFE way to mount them. That way you wouldn't have to worry about breaking any interior parts cause all you would be doing is cutting a slit in the package tray.

I only have info on Ohio laws, having said that, there is no Ohio law (or anywhere else here in the states that I know of) that prohibits putting a child seat in the front seat. The cautionary factors are the proximity to the airbag, and that applies to a rear facing infant seat. STATISTICALLY, the 2nd row, middle seat in the safest, but if you look at it from a common sense stand-point, it is because that location has the most metal around it.
As far as adding belts, I would not recommend that, reason being, and only in the most severe cases, that car is designed to "Fold" or callapse in pre-determined specified ways. If you anchor a belt to point that may push out, you are likely to do more harm than good, especially in the full booster-type seats that use the exisiting belt to hold the child and not just the seat.
FWIW I would say find a seat compatible with just a lap belt and stick to the back seat, anything else could pose unforeseen ramifications. -Dustin

-
Back