Rear Seatbelts

-

Dusted73

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for safe options for my kids in the back seat of my duster. I was wondering if any of you have used the harnesses from westco or have other alternatives besides a lap belt. My daughter is still in a car seat so she is good but my son is 11.

Screenshot_20240104-085403_Chrome.png

Screenshot_20240103-225114_Chrome.png

Is There a bit of package tray on the sides where a shoulder harness like the one mbaird pictured above could be mounted?
I had a Dart Sport with the fold down seat, but I can't remember If it had provisions. That was 34 ish years ago

Last edited:
I achieved this using a Kangol horizontal mount 4 generation "4Gen" belt
i have a back corner fix belt mount in close to the screen
i have a lower mount under the seat in the sill
and i have the usual lap belt mounts under the rear seat for the buck clasps
and i used these
Seat Belt Mounting Bracket Pair
as an offset to fit those reels in between panel and rear screen. basically converted a fix belt upper mount with no space into a slightly forward mount for the seat belt retractor

seats are fine for kids but a tall adult would bang head on the retractor in an accident
few adults comfortably fit in the back of an Australian charger and my kids are not all enough

if you have no rear shelf

Something like this bolted to a plate on the floor or under the seat would work
horizontal mount belts can be purchased in the US

Rock And Roll Bed 3 Point Automatic E Approved Seat Belt Kit Horizontal Mount | eBay

i.e you could mount it horizontal where you wanted and use a drop link like
this from an upper mount to smooth the belt flow over the top of the seat for the "customer"
SEAT BELT DROP LINK 150mm ADR APPROVED | eBay

cropped 20210613_123813.jpg

Last edited:
There is still a pkg tray on folding seat cars . Its just shorter. You should be able to anchor the harness to it . It might be in the way a little when you fold down the seat .

IMG_9982.png

There are no retractors . They mount thru the package try and are secured with dog bones under the package shelf. These were a very rare option offered from 68- 71ish . I have only seen 2 cars with them . These came out of a loaded 69 Charger R/T SE I foolishly parted out in the 80s.

Last edited:
I have them in my 68 Dart. I new it was pretty rare, don’t remember seeing rear seat shoulder belts in anything well into the 90s

I have them in my 68 Dart. I new it was pretty rare, don’t remember seeing rear seat shoulder belts in anything well into the 90s
Your 68 came from the factory with rear shoulder belts ? Pics ?
Very rare !

Itll take me a bit, but ill get um. I don’t have the package tray installed yet, and years ago (late 80s) I had taken the seatbelts out. Through the years, never seeing them at car shows, I came to realize I had a rare option or special order item.

Last edited:
-
Back