Rear shackle help

-

downsr

Reaction score
Need to make sure my rear shackles that hold leaf spring is adjusted correctly.
One looks like its at a 20 degree angle towards rear bumper other is almost straight up and down. How much of a angle should be on them towards the bumper. Sitting high on one side .It is on a 70 Duster

IDK why they are not the same, but they need to be going back towards the bumper.

Looking from the drivers side at the shackle, it should be somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock.

You need to sort out why both sides are not the same.

IDK why they are not the same, but they need to be going back towards the bumper.

Looking from the drivers side at the shackle, it should be somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock.

You need to sort out why both sides are not the same.
AGREE W/ THE ABOVE POST^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would first check the rear end to see if it`s in there square to the car.

You stated its sitting high on one side. I'm assuming that's the side with the straight shackle? If so, that's why. I'm wondering why that one side is higher. Usually that happens with super stock springs. Maybe call Espo and ask them if that's normal with the springs you got. If there new installs maybe give them time to settle. Also did you torque all spring bolts and U-bolts with the weight of the car on the springs?

Last edited:
The U-bolts are 45, I usually go to 30 first, then finish them off at 45. Go in a X pattern. Not sure on the front eye bolts or rear shackles. I just tighten until I'm comfortable. Remember, this is all with weight on the springs.

Having the torsion bars adjusted differently will cause them to be different as well.
Just FYI, I have seen a LOT of cars with a major difference in the adjustment left to right.
It aint easy to tell how far off they are either unless you have a level floor and scales.

-
Back