Rear shelf 6x9 Question

-

oldjunk

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me me why the Duster/Demon (and other A-bodies im sure) came with the metal cut out in the rear shelf panel to accept 6x9 speakers? Was it ever an option to have 6x9's installed from the factory or dealer? Just curious. Thanks!

Yes there was a factory option to have rear speakers.
Also the blower type rear defrost uses one of the 6x9 holes to pull in fresh air from trunk to blow on the window

Our 74 Gold Duster has these cutouts, I have some pictures if that helps your question on my Members Restoration page. I dont know about the code for the option, this weeks project is finally fully decoding my VIN and Fender Tag for Duster & Valiant. Just found build sheet on Duster, under rear seat, which I was pretty excited to find even existed 40 years later.

Yes there was a factory option to have rear speakers.
Also the blower type rear defrost uses one of the 6x9 holes to pull in fresh air from trunk to blow on the window

Ok, that makes sense. I'm assuming you could only get 1 6x9 in the rear and the other cut out would be used for the blower? Guess you would need to have a radio equipped with a fader switch...AM/FM? If anyone's got some pics of an original set up, post em!

-
Back