rear shock problem

-

fast318dart

Reaction score
this weekend got an 83/4 under my car its a 74 dodge dart sport. went with caltracs their mono leafs , moved the springs in and moved the rear back 3/4 so the tires are more centered. also welded a brace on the rear and thats where the problem comes in the shock wont bolt up. just wondering if any of you have ran into this problem or have mounted the shocks a little different.

please explain ...they are too short/long? or mis alignment ? or hit the brace ?

the shock hits the brace and wont bolt up because of that. was wondering if I could come up with a bracket off the frame, but then i dont know how well that will work with the shock mounted straight up and down.

Would it clear if the top and bottom were connected? In other words does it have enough clearence once it's together?
If it does, you could unbolt the u bolts, mount the shock to the plate, connect it to the top. Then put the shock plate and u-bolts back on.

hey mopower71 i think he welded a brace or stiffner in the way is what he means. straight up and down would be workable but using a offset bracket doesn't sound good ...looks like you either have to notch out your brace or remove it

yeah I figure I might have to get something like a coil over bracket and weld it to the rear and the fab up a brack to mount to the frame so the shock is straight up and down but I dont know how well the shock will function or wont it matter.

mounting the shocks vertical will increase body roll on the street, it will not hurt on the drag strip. it may even help a little.
the vertical mounting of the shocks increases the distance the body can roll in relation to the compression -extension distance of the shocks...the closer to the center of the car they are mounted , the more they lose travel in the corners

-
Back