Rear shock question???

-

Gib Warnick

'65 Valiant signet
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello guys- I just want to confirm what I think is correct. I have a 65 Signet with a 7 1/4 rear. I am going to put together an 8 3/4 rear in the near future. As near as I can tell, the same shocks will fit both applications?
I wanted to check with you all as after rebuilding the front end and installing SSBC disc brakes, I am going to drive with the 273/904 combo while building a 340. I'd like to replace the rear shocks now if they will work with the 8 3/4 later. Thanks,

you will need the shock plates from the 8 3/4 or an 8 1/4 though

just completed the swap yesterday and the old shocks fit perfectly. you will need to keep the original e-brake cables too they fit right into the 8 3/4. and driveshaft will need to be shortened. i used a 70 coronet driveshaft which fit perfectly with the 904 to 7 1/4 combo but had to take about three inches out to fit the 8 3/4.
-tim

Thanks for the info guys- I had plans to do the rear now but the old time and $$$ issues means I'll live with the 7 1/4 for a while... Wanted to change old shocks now and use on 8 3/4 later-Thanks for info on emergency brake cable... Mopar folks are the best!!!

along wit hthe shock plates you will neeed to get U-BOLTS to fit the new plates, you can get the U-BOLTS at most local auto part stores

i was pleasantly surprised to find that all the brake parts for my 8 3/4 were available at napa, including new drums!! so you can rebuild the entire rear brake system with new parts if need be.
-tim

-
Back