Rear Suspension Parts - Finish Questions

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the original finish was on the 4 "U" bolts that hold the leaf springs to the shock plates?
Also the plates themselves that the U bolts pass through. Were these natural, painted, plated?
How about the rear leaf springs? Painted?
What color were the shock absorbers when the cars were new?
Its all for a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 8-3/4 rear.

Thanks for all the help fella's!

George

Had to study on this one for a while. IIRC the springs and Ubolts were natural, everything else on your list was chassis black.
Bear in mind that I am relying on memories from when I was 15 and a lot of years and :drinkers: have dimmed them somewhat. The springs and Ubolts were definitely natural (I remember thinking:shock:at such rusty parts on a new car) and the shocks were definitely black. The spring plates I'm not as sure of but I don't recall them looking any different than the shocks and all the replacements I have bought over the years have been black. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys.
Grump, I was LMAO with the beer comment!
I guess I still need to research my own car and look for signs of paint, or lack of. It apprears my shock plates are natural as are the U bolts, but the leaf springs look like factory black. I found some blue and white inspection marks on the diffy,a nd a number in yellow stencil.
I know the different plants used different finishes, and this is an LA built car. That plant seemed to be most different from the rest.

Thanks again for all the help and the links,
George

Well I think or should I say I know that the factory wasn't real consistent when it came to painting chassis parts. My 69 Swinger had painted U bolts and plates in a semi black and my differential housing was the same. My front control arms were natural. Now a friend of mine and we bought our cars within a couple of months of each other his had painted control arms and painted leaf springs and shock plates. I can't tell you why but I know that back in the day I think the factories kinda did things on different shifts from one another.

I know what my car had on it because I still have it and when I restored it a while back I can remember what was painted and what was not.

I think its more of what the supplier did then what the factory did. If the parts came bare, the were installed bare. If a supplier ran out of a part, they would get them from someone else with a different finish.

-
Back